Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar filter

Solar filter

For next year's solar eclipse, I'm aiming to use my 500 f/4 lens. I searched around for solar filters, and came across this one. I'm quite pleased with the whole setup so I thought I'd share. I bought mine in Canada, so you'll just need to search for "Baader solar filter" to find a distributor near you. Note that there are quite a few models, and I spent a fair bit of time going through them all before settling on the ASTF 120 for my lens. It is a perfect fit. It holds on by friction and is quite secure, but it's also easy to pull it off quickly for the total phase of the eclipse.

Thanks, Jonathan. Based on your efforts, the 140mm version should work well for the 600/4. B&H sells them (as special order items, with 2-4 week delivery; Google shows other US suppliers with stock on hand). I'll need to decide whether I'm going to take the 600/4, or use the RF 100-300/2.8 with a TC.

My older daughter is very excited about the eclipse, and at her request we are planning to drive up to New Hampshire for the event.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 07-24-2023 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Thanks, Jonathan. Based on your efforts, the 140mm version should work well for the 600/4. B&H sells them (as special order items, with 2-4 week delivery; Google shows other US suppliers with stock on hand). I'll need to decide whether I'm going to take the 600/4, or use the RF 100-300/2.8 with a TC.

My older daughter is very excited about the eclipse, and at her request we are planning to drive up to New Hampshire for the event.
    Glad this is useful. I take it you're planning to use the R3? I'm curious how the eclipse will appear in the electronic viewfinder, compared to the optical viewfinder of my 1DXIII. There are incredible nuances in the corona, and a huge dynamic range, that the EVF might not be able to display. You'll get the same photos (if not better) with the R3, but for the personal viewing experience, I'm wondering if it will match the optical view.

Also - New Hampshire has a low probability of clear skies on eclipse day, unfortunately (cloud cover > 70% typical). Locations farther south are better. https://eclipsophile.com/wp-content/...ntre-cloud.png
    Last edited by Jonathan Huyer; 07-24-2023 at 09:12 PM.

For the annular on 10/14 will be along the line in Nevada or Utah in the BAM 'boondocking' and will be using my 1200 russian mirror w a solar film fits nicely in my friction fit clear filter.

If anyone is interested Vegas or St. George Utah are not far and could pick anyone up at that airport(s). Will have the Jeep so travel is fairly easy and nearly anywhere we would like to go.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 07-24-2023 at 11:24 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks, Jonathan. Personal viewing will be through (filtered) binoculars. Good point on the cloud cover, though with school we won't be able to travel more than a few hours' drive so there's not much difference between New York and Vermont. Given the timing, we'll be able to make a call early in the morning and drive west or north depending on the proximate forecast. Unless it's all clouds in which case we'll stay home and watch online.

There's a great little natural history museum in northern Vermont that has a planetarium (Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury), that we've visited several times. It's just inside the totality (~90 s worth), we were considering using that as a base for a short drive north if we go that direction. Burlington, VT is right in the middle, but will be very crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Glad this is useful. I take it you're planning to use the R3? I'm curious how the eclipse will appear in the electronic viewfinder, compared to the optical viewfinder of my 1DXIII. There are incredible nuances in the corona, and a huge dynamic range, that the EVF might not be able to display. You'll get the same photos (if not better) with the R3, but for the personal viewing experience, I'm wondering if it will match the optical view.
    Wouldn't it be the same as using live view. I did live view on all the shots with the 500mm on the last one.
    I would think with the high frame rate of the R3 you will can have quite a few shots through total. Or just one or so at 196 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Also - New Hampshire has a low probability of clear skies on eclipse day, unfortunately (cloud cover > 70% typical). Locations farther south are better. https://eclipsophile.com/wp-content/...ntre-cloud.png
    Weathermen fail at predicting the weather tomorrow, counting on patterns is at best unreliable. Last year we had one of the hottest summers on record and this year record rainfall in the driest month of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Thanks, Jonathan. Personal viewing will be through (filtered) binoculars.
    Speaking of which, if any one reads this for pointers, buy a filter for a good set of binoculars like Canons IS binoculars.
    I had both filters and a pair that was made to view the sun. The special pair was good for the kids to play with while they ate popsicles.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Speaking of which, if any one reads this for pointers, buy a filter for a good set of binoculars like Canons IS binoculars.
    That was my plan. The 10x42 IS takes 52mm threaded filters.