Thread: Foot on EF 100-400 VII

Foot on EF 100-400 VII

So I have had this problem for a while but now that I've started to shoot with a monopod more often, it is a little more troubling. Does anyone else have an issue with the foot on the tripod mount not being solidly attached to their tripod ring? It is securely fastened and I have no doubt that it will hold if I use my rapid strap, but it doesn't fit snuggly in the base to prevent a wobble. I have tried putting shims in there to stabilize it, but still wobbly. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Never experienced this issue .... but it has been known for a while

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3944288

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55989935

Thank you Joel, I haven't been on DPreview for a while. That sucks...replacement foot is about $80. Wish it just worked like the older ones. Leary about using the cheaper versions you find on amazon as I use this all the time for my rapid strap as well and don't want it to fall.

I think, before buying a new foot, I would remove the foot and put a some Loctite on the four small screws in the base and tighten them down....might correct the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I think, before buying a new foot, I would remove the foot and put a some Loctite on the four small screws in the base and tighten them down....might correct the problem
    That's what I'd do, as well. But I'd suggest Loctite Blue because if it doesn't work you'll want to be able to remove it!

If that doesn't work... I use RRS replacement feet on my EF 600/4 II and RF 100-300/2.8, they made one for the EF 100-400 II but it's gone from their website (more broadly, their product selection has shrunk considerably in the last few years). The RRS foot is still available at B&H/Adorama, but it's $30 more than the Kirk foot. OTOH, if you're not opposed to used then KEH has the RRS foot for $68, and since it's a chunk of machined aluminum there's really not much that can go wrong. FWIW, for my R8 I bought the RRS L-bracket for the EOS RP (which fits perfectly) used from KEH and it was in perfect condition (unlike the foot for the 100-400 II, the RP bracket is not available new anywhere I could find).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    That's what I'd do, as well. But I'd suggest Loctite Blue because if it doesn't work you'll want to be able to remove it!

If that doesn't work... I use RRS replacement feet on my EF 600/4 II and RF 100-300/2.8, they made one for the EF 100-400 II but it's gone from their website (more broadly, their product selection has shrunk considerably in the last few years). The RRS foot is still available at B&H/Adorama, but it's $30 more than the Kirk foot. OTOH, if you're not opposed to used then KEH has the RRS foot for $68, and since it's a chunk of machined aluminum there's really not much that can go wrong. FWIW, for my R8 I bought the RRS L-bracket for the EOS RP (which fits perfectly) used from KEH and it was in perfect condition (unlike the foot for the 100-400 II, the RP bracket is not available new anywhere I could find).

Good luck!
    Thank you both for the suggestion. I'll give the loctite blue a shot before moving on from the Canon foot. I have bought many things from KEH and have been pleased, so no issue doing that for me. I appreciate the help!