Thread: Smallish Camera for a Beginner

Smallish Camera for a Beginner

Like many of you, I get asked what camera I would recommend by friends and colleagues. About two weeks ago, someone I sometimes work with saw my camera gear at a conference and asked for a recommendation. She wanted something smaller than my R5. I was also traveling with the G7XII, which intrigued her a little. But she seemed most interested as I described my M6 II system. I also let her know about the OM and Fujifilm X-T systems.

We didn't discuss price, but I want to get back to her, and in reviewing things, it looks like the R50 is probably the more current version of the M6 II from Canon. But, I thought I would ask, what are people recommending when asked by friends and colleagues?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-04-2023 at 10:34 AM.

For a totally rank beginner I see nothing wrong with recommending one of the PowerShot cameras ... got one for my 11 year Grand Daughter and she has made some very nice images with it (including some cool bird pics!)

Wife is loving the size of R8+50 f/1.8. Bet you could find a used RP to lower the price a bit. Powershot suggestion would be more versatile by having a big zoom included, but the smaller sensor, and aperture would make it less ideal in lower light.

As always, depends on the priorities.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I'd ask where she sees her photography in 2 years and what she is looking for. If she wants to do more of what we do, then I'd suggest something in the R line so she can build on her GAS. If she just wants it for vacations and family stuff, I see nothing wrong with recommending the M series or the OM/Fuji brands. You don't have a ton of choice in the M line for lenses, but what they do have work well for the vacations and family stuff.

BTW. Thanks for the thoughts everyone..