Thread: New Toy! - Canon RF 10-20 mm f/4 L IS STM

New Toy! - Canon RF 10-20 mm f/4 L IS STM

Just announced today, Canon RF 10-20 mm f/4 L IS STM.

MTF charts appear sharper than the already stellar and very well regarded EF 11-24. Comparing the two: Half the weight; smaller (about the size of the RF 14-35) and image stabilizer. Still doesn't accept front filters (rear filter), but first glance, this appears to be a great lens. One that may even end up in my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    MTF charts appear sharper than the already stellar and very well regarded EF 11-24.
    Nope, Bryan's comparison is not valid, because Canon changed the way they plot MTFs in 2018. The big clue is the old format has 8 lines and the new format has only 4 lines, you cannot compare the two. Canon Japan has the current version MTFs for all the lenses, but for example Canon USA didn't bother to update the old ones.

Details from Canon on MTF charts here.

Here are the MTFs compared as apples to apples (new lens on top):

The lenses are pretty similar in terms of MTF at the wide end, the EF is very slightly sharper, contrast (black lines) is similar. Resolution (blue lines) is noticeably higher at the long end for the RF lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Comparing the two: Half the weight; smaller (about the size of the RF 14-35) and image stabilizer. Still doesn't accept front filters (rear filter), but first glance, this appears to be a great lens. One that may even end up in my bag.
    I don't plan to swap my current EF 11-24/4 for this lens. The drop-in filters are very convenient and a big advantage for me. I used a 10-stop ND gel with the 11-24 before R bodies, they're a bit annoying to use and there's no CPL option (useful for cutting reflections on glass/water). But it does look like a very nice lens!
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 10-12-2023 at 01:19 PM.