Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120 FPS Global Shutter!!! and more

120 FPS Global Shutter!!! and more

Ok that kind of stopped my stroll down the sidewalk.

I couldn't imagine really trying to pick from the 12 frames in a 1/10th of a second...

ooof.

Thoughts?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The R3 can do a RAW burst at up to 195 fps. Useful for water drops and not much else for me.

Impressive .... Sony has been leading the way for a few years now in my opinion, especially for wildlife and sports photographers. I think Nikon is catching up a bit on their AF. The new A9III also features Pre-Shooting where it captures frames before you press the shutter in case you miss something by being a tad late. Olympus has had this feature for a while.

I have been very tempted to switch to Sony several times but have resisted due to so much I have invested in Canon lenses.

If Canon doesn't already have something similar in the R1 to compete we may see it delayed further and or Canon taking a bit more of a market loss to Sony.

I think Read the a9III can do 1/80,000 shutter speed and sync with flash at any shutter speed too ..... that is beyond freezing Hummingbird wings although a lot of light or really high iso would be needed. Amazing technology and only $6000. lol.

Sorry, you don’t get both.

1/80,000 is one frame only.

Drops to a paltry 1/16,000 during continuous shooting.

Global shutter and the sync speeds is very cool.

As for 120 fps, not to be a cynic but I am waiting for the caveats. Sony RAW files are usually 2x their MP.

So, 24 MP x 2 x 120 = 5,760 GB/sec. A9 3 still has Type A CFe cards. They are not coming close to keeping up. I know what my RAM sticks for my desktop look like. They have heat sinks, etc. you aren’t fitting those into a camera body. At a minimum the burst is going to be limited. I very much wonder if other crimping of files will take place. I mean, even if they dropped 32 GB of RAM into the camera, that is 5 sec burst until filled.

Anyway, very happy to seen Sony innovating. Very happy to see a global shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Sorry, you don’t get both.

1/80,000 is one frame only.

Drops to a paltry 1/16,000 during continuous shooting.

Global shutter and the sync speeds is very cool.
    Did not know those limitations, regardless I am staying put (cost is prohibitive to replace my current kit with all Sony) but still impressed with specs and their AF performance.

@JoelEade, Both of my cheap mirrorless bodies, the R7 and R8 have a pre-shooting option, no need to wait for an R1 or switch to Sony... I expect it's there across the whole Canon lineup. I think it's limited to raw burst mode, not pre-capture at normal capture rates... not sure if that's different from Sony's version or not.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I did not know that, I haven't installed the latest firmware update but, RAW Burst Mode isn't on my R5. Maybe it's included in the most recent update. Thanks for pointing that out.

I haven’t seen it go by, but I haven’t looked recently either. Even the M6II has a pre buffer mode (RAW burst if I remember correctly). Anyway, classic canon, they are beta testing on their lower end models and “the best” makes it into the top end.

I say Classic Canon as there seem to be two philosophies in play…Sony leads in specs and introduces new tech/specs in their higher end gear. Canon introduces new tech in lower/mid gear. The top end typically only includes features that are rock solid dependable.

Btw, watched a video, A9 III hit buffer before my 2 Mississippi count. I’d say 1.6 -1.7 seconds or so. With writing to card, I am guessing it is 8 GB of RAM onboard the A9 III. Still impressive. But typical CFE Type A card write speed will limit you to “only” ~12-15 fps after that. So a great feature for certain instances where you can burst, wait for buffer to clear, burst again. And, considering having to sort 120 fps, maybe that is all you want.

But that buffer will still be very useful if someone sets the fps to 30, 50, etc.

Big picture, these are features I am glad to see out there.

Yeah ... the frame rate of 120 per second isn't something I want but the idea that, even for short bursts, a global shutter can function at that speed is amazing. I am usually a short burst shooter even on birds in flight and 30 per second seems more than adequate. For birders, I am still of the opinion that Sony is leading (in terms of features not necessarily image quality )