Thread: South Rim GCNF

South Rim GCNF

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.21/IMG_5F00_2943_5F00_.jpg[/img]

Photo of a deer and her offspring taken withCanon 20D and 70-200L f2.8 IS. Image @ f2.8 iso 400 1/100 sec. Some minor adjustments in Camera Raw and then slight curves adjustment. Your feedback will be most appreciated. What could anyone recommend as a good technique to print a photo like this? Isit just a matter of preference in presentation when you print like this? ie: matte vs high gloss? What would someone think of as a happy medium? -no pun intended. I am embarking on a newlearning experience and to print and I'm now waiting for my Pixma Pro 9000 to arrive (next Wed!!!).Of course, that will be another thread to post! By the way, there is still the excellent rebate being offer by Canon on the printer and camera purchase for another couple of weeks. I have no proffesional interest in Canon, just thought it was a good deal!! Thanks again for any feedback,
    <div>(Nubie)John</div>

Re: South Rim GCNF

John,

It is personal preference. I like matte myself. I would take a look at the Whitebalance on this one. It looks a little red to me. Its a nice photo though, and it does have a warm feel to it that is great. Also, I would say that if you cropped this and you have a little extra room on the right side, I would like tosee more of what the Doe is looking at. I think she is the subject of this photo, eventhough it may be prefered to be the fawns. She is in a little better focus and has a wonderful stoic look to her. I am sure you could get some other opinions, better than mine, here also.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.21/IMG_5F00_2943_5F00_a.JPG[/img]

Tom, Thank youfor your observations. Iadjusted exposure slightly and lowered color temp from 4400 to 3900, also cropping again, still only about 60% of original frame. Also, not sure, does it look as thoughsubject not filling the frame due to the extra trees. What do you think?

John, I like this crop much better. Seems to tell more of a story and I'm curious about what caught the doe's attention. It sometimes surprises me still what a different crop can do for the visual interest of a photo. Nicely done.

John, I like the look of this one much better. To fill the frame a little more, you could take a little of the top and left. It would also minimize the tree limb that is out of the depth of field. This is a good photo and worth the work.

Tom

John, I like this pic. Not shot far from me (Flagstaff). Something seems off about the sharpness, but I don't feel that it is the focus. It seems that the photo was highly cropped or that you used too high of image compression. Mostly the background blur looks irregular, which it shouldn't for the lens you are using.

As far as printing, I am no expert, and like the look of matte, but recently read that glossy paper has a higher dynamic range. Does anyone else know more about this?