Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan's new ISO comparison

Bryan's new ISO comparison

Regarding the new high ISO noise comparison between the T1i/500D and 50D, what do you think?

Just got a new 50D less than 3 weeks ago... this is how my face look like right now: [] [8o|]

(both at the same time [:P])

Re: Bryan's new ISO comparison

I did notice a little more noise with the 50D than the 500D, starting at ISO800.

BUT, I couldn't tell if that was just because the 50Ds shots seemed warmer than the 500Ds. They all seemed to have a slightly warmer hue to them, and I'm not sure if that was user error on Bryan's part in post-processing (highly doubtful), or if it was inherent in the 50Ds processing to spit out a slightly warmer shot. Conversely, maybe the 500D is the one with the issue and is just shooting "cooler". Did anyone else notice this?

Regardless, I'm not sure if my eye was able to pick up more noise, or interpreted more noise, because of the warmer temperature of the shots. Was it truly more noise, or was it an artifact of the color temp?

Just my thoughts...

alex
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

wow does the T1i really have better noise than the 50D??? to be honest i espise the new rebel series wwell all of them... and now i want it becasue of the good noise. i agree with your frustration lol i was going to get a 50d but wow....mmmmm...

I will say that based on the white balance I use, I can see more noise or noise is minimized with my 50d. that said, these two comparisons seem to have different white balance for similar scene... a white balance adjust on the 50d might bring things more in line.

I don't think it's WB, I think the 50D looks warmer because of the red dots it has in the high ISO pictures. Besides, I think Bryan knows what he is doing.

I agree wholeheartedly that user error is very unlikely, because Bryan definitely knows what he's doing.

I don't think, though, that the 50D seems warmer from red dots/noise. The warmer hue shows up even at ISO100, especially when you look at the fabric swatch on the ISO comparison section. There's no way, in my mind, that the 50D would express that much tint from red noise on ISO100. Unless I'm confused, that just doesn't seem likely.
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

You are right alex, I forgot to check the ISO 100 pictures - the 50D is warmer.

My face still look like this [] even after the T1i was introduced. I highly doubt if the T1i can actually out perform the 50D regardless the noise difference that's showing on the comparison chart. I used to observe noise in a practical way through my real life pictures, lab results are just for reference; my experience tells me that such amount of noise difference is not something that I should be worried about. At ISO 100, there should even be less issue! I don't even find my 50D out perform my 400D in terms of image purity in practice at ISO100 or 200.

On the other hand, the 50D has better ergonomics, alloy body, easy & quick access, fast speed and a larger viewfinder just for a little bit more $. Not having a movie mood is my big minus - that's all.

Hi Everyone,

More commentary is coming on these results, but yes, the 50D shots area littlewarmer.

Part of what I was looking at was AWB. I shot this test with two lenses at two distances and the results were the same. I alsocustom white-balancedthe 50D results using aColor Checker(included in the shot), but the results didn't look much different. If it would be helpful to you, I can add them.

I still wouldn't trade a 50D for a T1i unless I needed video.

Thanks Bryan []

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan

I still wouldn't trade a 50D for a T1i unless I needed video.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I wouldn't either, but it still pissed me off []