Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vs. Mac

PC vs. Mac

Is there a consensus? Which do you prefer to work with for photo-processing and editing?

Re: PC vs. Mac

I wont vote since I never really used a mac only windows and linux
    (programming not photo-processing) but just looking at most of the
    windows systems the computers for the most part aren't exactly
    powerhouses and windows itself has a whole lot of bulk. macs seem to
    have a fairly heavy hit hardware wise (and wallet) along with something
    that from the little I've used a mac seems much less bulky. So if I
    was given the choice of either system for free definitely would go mac.
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Also, how many people use laptops vs. desktops? For those of you using laptops, do you use an external monitor?

I'm a photography newbie, but I use both Macs and PCs a lot. When I'm actually in Lightroom (the only photo software I've used on both) I don't notice any difference in how the program operates.

However, when I'm doing anything else, the Macs are by far the better machines. The interface really is more intuitive, the operating system is much more stable, their customer support is the best I've encountered for any product or service, and, if you're actually comparing similarly equipped machines (same processor speeds, same amount of memory, yada yada) Macs are no more expensive than PCs. (There was an article on Slate or the NYT about this a few weeks ago.)

I use a desktop. If I used a laptop, I wouldn't do it without an external monitor. Laptop montior's color just doesn't seem accurate enough to me.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

funny thing...my <2 year old MacBook Pro just died this morning. Evidently Mine is suffering from bad nVidia chips. It will be fixed for free but what an inconvenience. I have a handful of files I didn't back up yet and now I have to pull the hard drive out and copy the data off it put it back in and send it in for repair.

Still would never own a PC, but I think I'm going to get a Mac Pro next time. No more notebooks.

I've been drooling over a Mac Pro since last year about this time, but I just can't seem to justify the cost... especially when I just dropped a bunch of cash on another camera body.

As is, I use a MacBook (the black one from last year) and a 20" cinema display from Apple, though I will admit to using MS Office stuff for word processing and spreasheets rather than iWork.

Primarily laptop. I've got a couple Mac Minis, though one is for the kids and the other is in the storage with the calibrated monitors, pending a move at indefinite date, so right now, crappy laptop monitor. When they weren't packed up, i'd use the calibrated external monitor with either. I tried using the Mac with DPP and Adobe lightroom, though I didn't like the version they had released at the time for DPP on the Mac, found setting the printing options confusing. Lightroom seemed easy, though I couldn't do exactly what I wanted to do, but most things did look 'good'. This isn't a Mac/PC issue, but rather a software issue. I'll get back to the Mac Mini when it's time to unpack, install the latest version of DPP, which is supposed to be identical to the PC version, and I'm hoping things will be different then.

IMHO, for the same money you get better hardware in a PC, but Mac seems to have an edge in Operating System dept.

Anotheradvantage of a PC computer is that you can even make it yourself, and you get exactly what you want for the money you spend.

The PC modalitycould be also considered a disadvantage, becausequite a fewPC vendorswill offer a fast processor with lots of Ram for a bargain price (a magnet for customers), not mentioning that hard drive or graphics card are just too slow. Such configuration may be fine for web browsing andso forth(which is what most users do).Graphic/video processing consumes lots of hardware resources. From the hardware point of view, a computer is as fast as the slowest major component: processor, memory, hard drive, graphics card etc.

If I'm not mistaken,since Mac started using Intelprocessors, it is possible to run eitheroperating system on either hardware.

I am a PC [] The reason? I made it,I know it, if it brakes I can fix it. Vista 64 works very well withmy DPP and CS3.

Edit: I voted "Either is fine" Both systems have great potential in the hands of avid photographer []

I've heard of runnning Windows on a Mac, but not the other way around (I'm not sure it's even possible - much less feasible). I do know a number of people who run Windows for desktop applications and Linux for online and also have a guy in my department who built some freak processor array with about a dozen Pentium 3s and runs it with Ubuntu.