Thread: Football Tackle

Football Tackle

This is a photo I took at a Pop Warner football game (9-10 yr olds) this fall. I'd like to get some feedback on the photo. Thanks!

Canon 40D, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Exposure: 1/2000 sec at f/5.6

Mode: Action (normally I shoot manual, but was experimenting)

ISO 400

Focal Length: 330mm, 80% crop

Re: Football Tackle

Great shot Mike!! The focus is right on, and the background is not too distracting( lets you know there are spectators). I think maybe I would have left just a little more room at the top and bottom, though. Just me...and I do love the 100-400l.

Thanks for the critique. The suggestions were very helpful. I've already made some corrections to the crop and played around with shadows/highlights and I like the results.

I shoot a lot of kid's sporting events and always share my photos with the parents. They rarely get to see these types of action photos since the are trying to stop the action with a point and shoot camera. So, they tell me how much they like these photos, but I wanted to run them by the forum to get some expert opinions. Thanks!

Well I don't know about an "expert" opinion, but I agree that some more room at the bottom of the frame would give a greater idea of the tackle by showing where the child is going to land. But I really like the shot as is too.

Hi Mike, this is a very good action shot. I only wish that the faces are more visible, of course we can't control where the players go and where the light is. Good luck next time.

Excellent shot, Mike - -

As Bryan has noted elsewhere, a good photograph is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, there is seldom a "right way" and a "wrong way" to shoot.

Some have suggested that your crop not be so tight - leave a little wiggle room at the bottom. My approach woiuld be very different. Instead, I suggest you crop this vertically. Its a great action shot, but IMHO, you don't need all that extra space on the left. If you crop vertically, you may cut off an arm or leg, but you will have a much better "feeling" for the tackle. As a plus, you will see the athlete's faces better too.

This is what I call a "Mom and Dad" photo - - its the kind of shot parents buy because it shows their young hero in action and you can see faces too. In other words - crop tight.

Doug

Mike,

I shoot lots of flag football games. To me - and I think to the parents - the best part of the action photos is catching the facial expressions of the players. For that reason, I always shoot from the endzones. Whichever team I'm photographing, I always move the the goal they are approaching so they are usually facing me in action.

You've got plenty of lens there to get great shots the whole length of the field. On a sunny day like that one, you'll need to up the exposure a bit to capture facial expressions in the shadow of the helmets.

Treat a game as an opportunity to get great portraits in action.

All the best,

dougthebiker