Thread: RAW file questions

RAW file questions

<span style="font-family: comic sans ms,sans-serif;"]Hey guys,

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"]So I have taken RAW imaged photo's for the first time in my life (because I didn't know that it was better to take them than to have the camera automatically set on JPEG) and I am having trouble trying just get the pictures to even show up.The photo icon looks like one of those window menu's or whatever. When I try to open it, the message says that windows cannot support this file type and then near the bottom it says "Use the web service to find the appropriate program" - meaning to open the file I presume.

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"]Can any of you give me some suggestions or helpful tips on going about opening these files? Thanks!

Re: RAW file questions

Hey Kam,

You can see them in Canons DPP software which came with you camera, or you can download picasa from googles website, the 3.0 version can show the pictures. If you are using DPP you have to open the filelocation in DPP, if you're using picasa you can simply just double click on the thumbnail and it'll open it.

Hope it helped?!

Ben

you need to download and install "Canon RAW" which is available on the canoneos.com website under any camera then click downloads and you'll see it in there... also install Canon DPP using the cd that came with your camera, and download 6.3.1 the latest version and update it

If it is your first time using a RAW viewer, you will probably have to right click the image icon, then choose "Open with". Choose your program from the selections, or if it doesn't show up automatically, you can Browse for it in Programs.

Once the file is associated with a particular program, then you can just double-click it and it will open properly from then on.

All of the replies will work just fine for you. From this forum, I found out about the FastStone image viewer while trying to view RAW files (I too was new to the format). I believe it's at www.faststone.org I've used it for several months now, and it turns outto bethe only free program I've downloaded and then subsequently donated money to. Easy to set up, easy to use, good light editing and batch processing functions, and best of all, free. Just another option. gary