Thread: First Bout with Flash lighting portrait...

First Bout with Flash lighting portrait...

Please be honest. Lack of brutality is appreciated, but useful criticism is appreciated more.

I'm getting the hang of this, slowly, but it's interesting how much of a gap there is between general theoretical understanding and actual application....

With these pictures, I had the lighting umbrella to the left, and lit up the wall behind her with the other flash. Later on,did something similar, but used the second umbrella to reflect some light to fill from the right side, but I haven't sorted those yet...

So far, I'm figuring out....

1) if you have a controlled background that's easy to blur, don't be afraid of stopping down. If you've got light, use it. It isn't so much a sharpness issue, but a depth of field. Just because a lens CAN do f/1.2, doesn't mean it'll work. Heck, most of the time, f/2.8 was too shallow. Even f/4 can be problematic. I have a whole bunch of pictures where I've only got one eye in focus, or maybe an eyelid, but not the eye itself! That may be okay, but maybe it isn't.

2) Positioning of lights and the camera and the subject is darn crucial. Move any of the three, and drastically different things can happen.

If you can clue me into some something based on looking at this, I'd appreciate it.

Shooting ModeManual Exposure
    Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
    Av( Aperture Value )2.8
    Metering ModeEvaluative Metering
    ISO Speed100

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
    Av( Aperture Value )2.8
    ISO Speed100

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
    Av( Aperture Value )2.8
    ISO Speed100

Re: First Bout with Flash lighting portrait...

how about some white balance adjusting?

Here's what I got after I learned a little through trial and error....

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
    Av( Aperture Value )8.0
    ISO Speed125

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
    Av( Aperture Value )8.0
    ISO Speed200

Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
    Av( Aperture Value )8.0
    ISO Speed200

About wide apertures--it really depends on the situation and (especially) the distance between the camera and the subject. Shooting wide apertures can be especially challenging in bright environments (while staying below the max flash sync speed). However, a shallow depth of-field can turn an especially uninteresting background into something much more pleasing. With that in mind, alot of the time I'm using a 70-200mm at apertures f/4 and below, but then I'm probably 15-20 feet from the subject. At that point f/4 is more than plenty to keep the subject in focus. In a studio, however, the rules are a little different (as you've found out).

For example, I shot this last evening at f/4, 1/200 sec, 75mm.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/3559981875_5F00_8a9b79e348_5F00_b.jpg[/img]

good points.

I didn't think that the 'flash' preset from Canon might differ from the white balance that I got on my vivitar flash through the umbrella, but I was obviously wrong.

This better? I should really get a grey card.

On the aperture, that feels like a real duh, and Sean's comment points to the benefit of longer lenses, when you can manage the distance. Longer distance, greater depth of field at a given f/X, while minimizing background.... I hope that 135 gets here soon. I supppose i could pop in the 70-200 as well. I don't think I have enough space for the 400 f/5.6, but who knows....

Colin: what is also a nice experiment is metering the subject (externally if possible) and overexposing the background (which doesn't have much in it anyway) a stop or even two. You should try it. If done properly you can end up with a very pleasing effect.

PS: Wow the lighting on that boxer is amazing. Seriously well done. *jealous* (in a good way). And not just of the photograph either. I guess it's time to hit a gym.

Thank you for the suggestions. I shall incorporate into the next session!