PDA

View Full Version : Which Filter is the Best?

Benjamin
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
<span style="font-size: medium;"]As the title says, which filter do you think is the best filter?

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I know B&amp;W MRC filters are the most reowned filters on the market. But as long as a filter is multi-coated I'm having a hard time to observe any difference at all in real life usage. I use Hoya Super HMC filters on most of my lenses including the 16-35/2.8L II (Which is supposed to suffer the most) and I don't see how the Hoya filters are worse than the B&amp;Ws.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Hoya is at half price of the B&amp;W filters. It is noticeable when both filters are placed on a table under fluorescent light, the B&amp;W MRC filter reflect slightly less light than the Hoya Super HMC. Comparing B&amp;W MRC to Hoya Pro1 D, the difference becomes almost indistinguishable. The color of the light being reflected is different, with B&amp;W being bluish and Hoya being greenish, but the amount of light is basically the same.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]In real life, I completely failed to see where and how B&amp;W filters are ahead. Even in harsh lighting environment with the sun coming in front of me or being part of the image, I have had little additional flare issue with both filters - I'm so not able to justify the difference. I guess buying B&amp;W filters over Hoya Super HMCs is a waste of money; or at least the difference is so not worth twice of the price of a Hoya filter.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Any thoughts?

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Ben

Daniel Browning
06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I have the premium multicoated versions of both filters and my subjective feeling is that the B&amp;W are easier to clean.

Benjamin
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I have the premium multicoated versions of both filters and my subjective feeling is that the B&amp;W are easier to clean.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Heck, that's true. I forget about the effort I put into cleaning them.

But optically I failed to observe any valuable difference between the two.

Daniel Browning
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
But optically I failed to observe any valuable difference between the two.

Me too.

Sean Setters
06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I hate cleaning. That makes the B&amp;W worth the price. [;)]

As I mentioned in an earlier filter-related thread, I've only tried one other brand other than B&amp;W, and it was a Tiffen filter that was substantially cheaper than the B&amp;W counterpart. It was horrible. I sent it back after one photoshoot and some controlled tests that confirmed just how bad it was. After that, I didn't feel like trying anyone else's filters. I've got expensive glass, and I see no reason to cut costs on a filter. B&amp;W filters have proven their worth to me, and I'll turn to B&amp;W everytime I need a new filter. It's the same reason I do my shopping at B&amp;H and Adorama--good reputation, service, and reasonable price. Other retailers may be just as good, but I know that if Ido my shoppingat those two retailers I don't have to wonder if I'm making the right decision.

Benjamin
06-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Sean,

One thing that I notice recently is the Hoya HD filters. I saw them on sale on Amazon for very expensive. The new HD (harded glasses) filters are top of the line filters that Hoya makes, better than the Pro1 D series. Their CPL HD seems to loose less light than a normal CPL (which is about 2 stops) and their glass is very tough. Another improvement is that they are designed to be super easy to clean, see this video ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6wBQR7iqE) to have a better idea. I was completely like [:O] when I watched the video. The HD filters are more expensive than B&amp;W MRC filters, but I do think that they are worth every penny now.

I'll buy into the HD ones when I'm having any of my lenses upgraded.

Sean Setters
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I just watched the video...and that is impressive.

Colin
06-10-2009, 11:51 PM
If somebody's willing to provide one for me, I'll bet $20 I can put a 400 grain arrow right through it [:)]

Hey, that gives me an idea of what to do with those extra Tiffen filters I've got left over.

With digital photography, does anybody see a use for non-multi-coated filters?

Rodger
06-11-2009, 12:06 AM

You can give them to poor students that spent the last 3 days looking for a second job to fun a 70-200 and strobe kit [;)]

Sean Setters
06-11-2009, 12:11 AM
lol @Rodger

I'm so glad I didn't pick up photography until I was out of college. I couldn't have had this much fun [with photography] while being that poor.

Rodger
06-11-2009, 12:30 AM
haha I still manage to have fun. And knowing that I am funding upgrades to my kit while I work is a great way to stay positive on the job. Even if I am still clearing leftover Indian food off of plates. haha :)

Daniel Browning
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Even if I am still clearing leftover Indian food off of plates.

I thought I had it bad in college, eating potatoes and ramen to save money, but eating other peoples' leftovers to have money for photography is *really* hardcore. ;)

alexniedra
06-11-2009, 12:50 AM
but eating other peoples' leftovers to have money for photography is *really* hardcore. ;)

I think there's a misunderstanding, Daniel. If there isn't and that is the joke, haha.

But Rodger, you're in high shool?

Rodger
06-11-2009, 12:54 AM
hahah I still have the comfort of home cooked meals for one more year till I go to college. Doubtless I will be taking the ramen noodlesapproachto college dining.

I hope you know I meant I wash the dishesat an Indianrestaurant!

Colin
06-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Even if I am still clearing leftover Indian food off of plates.

I thought I had it bad in college, eating potatoes and ramen to save money, but eating other peoples' leftovers to have money for photography is *really* hardcore. ;)
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I ate leftover pizza I found in the trash cans (it was less than 24 hours old, and I looked for spit, and it was still in the box), but my obsession at the time was stereo equipment. Coincidentally, I had trouble getting girls to talk to me in that period of my life.... Weird...

Colin
06-12-2009, 02:49 AM

You can give them to poor students that spent the last 3 days looking for a second job to fun a 70-200 and strobe kit /emoticons/emotion-5.gif
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

That's what Adorama wanted to do with them too, but I didn't want to just give them away to strangers.

What filter sizes do you need? I'll look and see if I've got anything you might find useful. If you want it, it's yours, IF you promise to use them. I don't want to just give them away for somebody else to sell. I've got some B+W non-multi-coated as well, but I think they're all 77mm, which means you'll need to be going the 2.8 route for your 70-200, I believe..... [:)]

Rodger
06-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Oh no I would use them for sure. But if you would rather sell them that is completely understandable.

You're right. My current filter sizes are 52mm, 58mm and will be 67mm. (Ahh I'd love f/2.8 for my 70-200 but I see a strobe kit + f/4 as moreusefulat the moment).

If you have any that fit my sizes and feel generous the email is obleyr@gmail.com :)

Colin
06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I've only got a 52mm Calumet in that range...

Yours if you want it.

Stephen Probert
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Speaking of Calumet, I see their filters are on sale right now and I don't know anything about them. What do people know as far as image quality, durability and cleanability? Thanks.

Ehcalum
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Promaster filters are currently made by Hoya. The Promaster MC line is the same as Hoyas.

Stephen Probert
09-30-2009, 01:48 PM
but what about Calumet brand filters?

ShutterbugJohan
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
but what about Calumet brand filters?

I've never heard of Calumet's filters, but I highly recommend B+W filters.

msmaneri1991
10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
your more then welcome to send them to me... a poor college student ha I just bought a 24-105 and have no filters for it.. sadly I also have no money left over for them hah

I was wondering what the biggest downside to not having multi coated?

msmaneri1991
10-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I mean anything besides reflecting more light