Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Filter is the Best?

Which Filter is the Best?

<span style="font-size: medium;"]As the title says, which filter do you think is the best filter?

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I know B&amp;W MRC filters are the most reowned filters on the market. But as long as a filter is multi-coated I'm having a hard time to observe any difference at all in real life usage. I use Hoya Super HMC filters on most of my lenses including the 16-35/2.8L II (Which is supposed to suffer the most) and I don't see how the Hoya filters are worse than the B&amp;Ws.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Hoya is at half price of the B&amp;W filters. It is noticeable when both filters are placed on a table under fluorescent light, the B&amp;W MRC filter reflect slightly less light than the Hoya Super HMC. Comparing B&amp;W MRC to Hoya Pro1 D, the difference becomes almost indistinguishable. The color of the light being reflected is different, with B&amp;W being bluish and Hoya being greenish, but the amount of light is basically the same.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]In real life, I completely failed to see where and how B&amp;W filters are ahead. Even in harsh lighting environment with the sun coming in front of me or being part of the image, I have had little additional flare issue with both filters - I'm so not able to justify the difference. I guess buying B&amp;W filters over Hoya Super HMCs is a waste of money; or at least the difference is so not worth twice of the price of a Hoya filter.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Any thoughts?

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Ben

Re: Which Filter is the Best?

I have the premium multicoated versions of both filters and my subjective feeling is that the B&amp;W are easier to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

I have the premium multicoated versions of both filters and my subjective feeling is that the B&amp;W are easier to clean.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Heck, that's true. I forget about the effort I put into cleaning them.

But optically I failed to observe any valuable difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    But optically I failed to observe any valuable difference between the two.

Me too.

I hate cleaning. That makes the B&amp;W worth the price. []

As I mentioned in an earlier filter-related thread, I've only tried one other brand other than B&amp;W, and it was a Tiffen filter that was substantially cheaper than the B&amp;W counterpart. It was horrible. I sent it back after one photoshoot and some controlled tests that confirmed just how bad it was. After that, I didn't feel like trying anyone else's filters. I've got expensive glass, and I see no reason to cut costs on a filter. B&amp;W filters have proven their worth to me, and I'll turn to B&amp;W everytime I need a new filter. It's the same reason I do my shopping at B&amp;H and Adorama--good reputation, service, and reasonable price. Other retailers may be just as good, but I know that if Ido my shoppingat those two retailers I don't have to wonder if I'm making the right decision.

Sean,

One thing that I notice recently is the Hoya HD filters. I saw them on sale on Amazon for very expensive. The new HD (harded glasses) filters are top of the line filters that Hoya makes, better than the Pro1 D series. Their CPL HD seems to loose less light than a normal CPL (which is about 2 stops) and their glass is very tough. Another improvement is that they are designed to be super easy to clean, see this video to have a better idea. I was completely like [:O] when I watched the video. The HD filters are more expensive than B&amp;W MRC filters, but I do think that they are worth every penny now.

I'll buy into the HD ones when I'm having any of my lenses upgraded.

I just watched the video...and that is impressive.

If somebody's willing to provide one for me, I'll bet $20 I can put a 400 grain arrow right through it []

Hey, that gives me an idea of what to do with those extra Tiffen filters I've got left over.

With digital photography, does anybody see a use for non-multi-coated filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    With digital photography, does anybody see a use for non-multi-coated filters?

You can give them to poor students that spent the last 3 days looking for a second job to fun a 70-200 and strobe kit []

lol @Rodger

I'm so glad I didn't pick up photography until I was out of college. I couldn't have had this much fun [with photography] while being that poor.