Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RF Lens Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    BUT... I'm willing to be dissuaded. As you do have the 28-70 f/2... are you finding the zoom range overly restrictive? I suspect you really only pull that out when you're looking for the ultimate in subject separation, and otherwise rely on the wider range of the 24-105, but when you do use it, how do you find it?
    You're correct, I really view the 28-70/2 as a collection of prime lenses. For my typical subjects, I don't find it restrictive. Many years ago, I was deciding between the EF 24/1.4L II and the EF 35/1.4L and I set the 24-105/4 to each focal length for a couple of days. I found that I preferred 35mm, and in post processing I was routinely cropping the shots from 24mm.

But for a travel lens, I would not want it to start at 28mm. Even though I'd have something wider with me (10-20/4 or 14-35/4), the extra width will often mean I don't have to swap lenses for a shot, something I prefer not to do especially walking around with family. Having said that, I did use the R8 + RF 28/2.8 as a walk around lens for a while, and it does well so perhaps I'm overemphasizing the importance of those extra few mm on the wide end.

It is fun to sometimes walk around with a prime, sometimes with a zoom like the 70-300L.

For a travel lens, I am usually f/5.6-f/11. Usually I am in the “storytelling/entire scene” apertures. If lowlight, I am usually doing sunrise/sunset so I get more light with longer exposures.

This is why I am ok sacrificing a stop of aperture for a larger focal length range. I’d want IQ to stay up. We’ll see what Canon comes up with. But, let’s get real, I am not hurting with my current kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the 28-70 f/2.8 on Wednesday. It's the first lens I've preordered, but my situation is not the same as some other contributors to this thread. I don't have any L lenses to pair with my R6 or R8. The 24-70 L always seemed too expensive for what I do and too heavy for me. The non-L zooms that I have come with narrow apertures, and landscape opportunities are few and far between. Most of the pictures I take nowadays are pictures of my kids.

Lately I was mostly using the RF non L primes, which I do really like, but to have a light, wide aperture, versatile lens that comes with some weather resistance is something I hoped for for some time now.

I didn't get much time to use it but so far the pictures I got look great and I hope it will replace 3-4 other lenses as I want to reduce the amount of gear I have. It could very well become my most used lens in the near future.

You're liking it Tounis? I have a pre-order as well, but it hasn't shipped yet. Everyone has mentioned how sharp it is, but Bryan's early test results look quite fuzzy except at center. I'm hoping Bryan got a bad copy and everyone else is right.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Perhaps a specific scenario might help focus the discussion .

I went to a fundraiser on Tuesday night for a local charity.... they had several trips for auction that where on my bucklet list so I thought I would bid on a couple of perhaps get lucky..... well..... 1 trip to Iceland and 1 to Africa later.....

I have 3 years to take the trips, and the wish list is now what lenses should I take - and even what camera body - I have a R5, but for Africa would a rental of a R1 or R3 be more appropriate?

What lenses would you take on either or both?

Thanks for the guidance.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911