Thread: Trip to New York City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trip to New York City

So I'm going to be going to NYC in about two weeks, for four days. I'm quite exited and thrilled to go and take pictures in the city.I've been to New York once before, but that was a 2-day school trip and I didn't get to take much.

I want the trip to be great in terms of my photo taking, so I'm planning on renting a couple things to go along with my current equipment;

I decided to rent a 5D, a 17-40mm f/4L, and a 70-200mm f/2.8L(non-IS); all for a quite affordable $274 for a week. And I'm going to also be taking my 350D, my 50 and 85 f/1.8 primes, and some lighting and tripod. No need to take my current wide and tele as the rentals are taking their places.

ANYWAYS, where do you guys suggest going to take some great pictures? I'm obviously going to spend some time in Times Square, and Central Park, but where else? Any places that are must-go-to's in the city? Like places to go eat, shop, be a tourist all that good stuff. [H]

Re: Trip to New York City

Be sure to visit B&H, 420 9th Ave, NY New York 10001.

Try not to spend lots of money there, Ha, Ha.

Mark
    Mark

Depends on what kind of pictures you want. I can tell you about the skyline spots, most of which are just outside Manhattan.

There are two great spots for Lower Manhattan. From the west
    (sunset), Exchange Place in Jersey City, NJ is your best bet. Take the
    PATH train from the World Trade Center to Exchange Place (it's one stop
    away). The Exchange Place station is right near an area that's perfect
    for photos. Here's a map. Sample photo.

On the other side of the river is the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, above I-278. Map.
    Take the 2 or 3 train to Clark St (the first stop in Brooklyn) and
    ask someone how to get to the Promenade. It's about four blocks away.
    Sample photo.

From the Promenade, if you walk up Columbia Heights, you'll see a
    couple of other places to take pictures of Lower Manhattan. If you
    keep going, you'll see Old Fulton St, and just north of that is Fulton
    Ferry State Park. Map. There's another park just east of Fulton Ferry, which has a famous view of the Brooklyn Bridge: picture.

On the way back to the subway, stop at Grimaldi's Pizza on Old
    Fulton St...it's the best pizza in the city. Go on a weeknight unless
    you enjoy waiting in line.

The southern part of Central Park is the most photogenic. The
    Central Park Conservancy has a map that I've used as a photography
    guide: http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/PageNavigator/virtualpark_main
    I do most of my Central Park photography at night, which I don't
    recommend unless you know your way around, but here are some pictures
    anyway: pictures.

I'll probably think of more ideas tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley
    So I'm going to be going to NYC in about two weeks, for four days.

You are going to have a blast. NYC has the highest concentration of photographic subjects of any place on earth. (IMHO of course.) I suggest you browse the Google Maps of NYC, it shows a lot of photos and exactly where they were taken. Have fun!

Beyond the other suggestions.

Go to 5th ave at the foot of the Cent Park to get the Met and the Guggenhiem. The homes along that stretch are also amazing with pre Depression detailing.

Rock center has a lot of brass inlay and relief imgages down the plaza and on the street. As I recal it's also on 5th closer to midtown and Grand Central Station, which is also a must to shoot.

I didn't do it until my fifth time in the city but go up the Empire St Bldg. A lot of hustlers at the door, ignore them. Don't take a multi tool or pocket knife, they take it and hold if for you and getting back to that spot requires a lot of walking.

Other than that, go to China Town and Little Italy, to shoot and eat! Moon struck in midtown's a decent tourist deli, big portions. Take the subway, but not after 6. Cabbies going up and down town will hit you, there's no second chance on the avenues, staying safe is on you.

If you fly into Newark don't let anyone touch your bag, it's like Moscow trying to fight off the towne car drivers, get a cab and save 30 bucks. If you fly into Laquardia it's good, they enforce cab rules there. Know nothing about JFK.

The other thing is wear really well broken in shoes.