Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking at buying two softboxes, how are these?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

looking at buying two softboxes, how are these?

I'm on a tight budget, I want two lights, CFL with poles. I want something that isn't going to fall apart on me and am wondering if some of he people in these reviews are just expecting pro grade equipment.

Does anyone have this set? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...-header-747038
    Last edited by Photog82; 03-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    --

Re: looking at buying two softboxes, how are these?

I've never used them, but just wanted to make sure you know their size before you order. 20" isn't real big but might work depending on what you're doing. I had a hard time trying to pull up any specs as the mobile version for BH isn't great. Some other things to remember is often times cheaper lights are cheaper because of lower quality and not just because of a lack of a name, meaning different kelvin temps might occur between the two bulbs. Can't remember if it came with them or not. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I don't have any experience with the softboxes you're looking at, but can I suggest you look at the apollo orb kit? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Speedlite.html A little cheaper and includes the softbox (larger than the one's you referenced), lightstand and standmount (bracket which attaches to the stand and holds the speedlite and softbox). I bought this kit and find it works excellent. Or you could consider the square apollo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lo_with_8.html. Very similar kit, except the softbox is square (giving different shaped catchlights in subjects eyes) and it has a deeper profile which keeps the light more directional than the orb (easier to keep light where you want it and not spilling onto the background).

I know both of these only have one softbox, but you're profile indicates you currently only have one flash. Also these are larger softboxes which should give a softer light. Maybe you could also get a reflector which would be very useful with a one-light setup to help provide some fill light. Another worthwile purchase would be an umbrella since they are so cheap and give you another lighting option you could use for different results from the softbox. THe one I have is also westcott: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ite_Satin.html (they come in different sizes and also are available in a kit with a lightstand).

Stephen

P.S. - I have no affiliation with westcott, but I have purchased some of their gear and find it to be a good compromise of quality and affordability.

I'm glad I posted here, I did see 20"x20", I thought that that's large, but now that you pointed it out, it really isn't.

I was interested in the Westcott items you linked NFLD, until I saw that they are speedlight only. I want the constant light (with stand). Do they have any in that price range/size?

EDIT:

How about these two options:

These cost a bit more, but I MIGHT be able to swing the price....
    Last edited by Photog82; 03-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    --

You could always go from your 20" box to another diffusion panel (like a generic Tri-grip) held closer to the subject. That would fan it out some more, but that's extra cost with more things that could fall/go astray.

I'm leaning towards the Impact lighting setup... I've got to think about it for another day or so.
    --

I've never used a constant light setup, but I do like the look of the interfit kit you posted. I've heard some good things about interfit, so it should be a good bet. If you do buy, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how they work out.

Stephen

At the tradeshow today I got to see the sofboxes made by Larson Enterprises. I am very impressed by the build quality of these soft boxes. They come with a lifetime warranty.
    Mark

Can anyone tell me if this comes with the lightbulbs? I can't tell, it sounds like it does but am not 100%. I will check with BH but wanted to check here since they are closed.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_2_Light.html
    --

It appears to come with 28watt fluorescent lamps. Technically it doesn't actually say it comes with six or whatever lamps, that would be pretty shady if it didn't.