Thread: CPL/ND Filter question.

CPL/ND Filter question.

I've been planning on investing on one of each of these in 77mm, for my Tokina and a few planned future purchases. I've decided on the B+W MRC CPL that is written about in the review on this site, but what is a good ND filter? I'm thinking I want the full 10 stop one for water smoothing and such, but will that be too much for waterfalls, or will a CPL do fine with waterfalls? Should I get more than one ND filter, in varying degrees? I've heard that its best to stay away from the single variable ND filters. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: CPL/ND Filter question.

Variable ones aren't bad. In fact, I think there is a link to a comparison of the top brands somewhere on the forums on this site. I hear most folks talking about singh-ray being a good higher priced one. My thoughts are to just get the stops you need, and maybe a cheaper vari if you want to or use the CPL as the variable when mounted with a 3-6 stop filter. Try searching for some of neuro's stuff on filters. I'd trust his research before mine any day.

Edit : "variable nd shootout" on YouTube was the link I was referring to.
    Last edited by andnowimbroke; 03-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

CPL/ND Filter question.

David. There is no single right answer for what filter you need for waterfalls. It all depends upon how much light is hitting the waterfall. In daylight I tend to need 6-10 stops to blur water. In the shade I tend to use 0-3 stops. But a Cpl is a good first filter. I am in the process of comparing my BW Cpl against the Singh-ray warmer Cpl. I have viewed the comparison shots on the monitor yet, but based on the camera screen, take a long look at the Singh-ray. Construction isn't as good as the BW, but I am liking the effect.

CPL/ND Filter question.

I'd avoid cheap variable NDs (Fader, Genus, etc.). Schneider/B+W, Singh-Ray, and Tiffen are good ones. But for all of them, there's an image artifact that shows up with wide angles (<28mm FF / <18mm APS-C). Since I often use NDs at wide angles, I don't use a variND.

I've had very good success with my Singh-Ray Vari-N-duo, which is a combo polarizer and variable ND filter. The only catch is that it is very thick, so you can't use it at focal lengths wider than 35 mm (on my full-frame). I tend to always use a polarizer with waterfalls to remove glare, so the Singh-Ray has an advantage in that it makes the job slightly easier. I set the polarizer first, then adjust the focus and turn off the auto focus so it won't change. Then I dial in the ND until I get the shutter speed I want. Other than the fact it is stupidly expensive, it's a great filter.

Non-variable ND filters are also really good, but I would only ever get the square format (slide-in). I think that a screw-on filter would be a pain, because you can't compose and focus easily when it is on (please correct me if anyone has found otherwise). I have the Lee Big Stopper, and the Singh-Ray 5-stop solid. I much prefer the Lee.

CPL/ND Filter question.

On a bright day, it's possible to compose and focus a shot with a 10-stop ND installed, using Live View with exposure simulation (it's a bit noisy). Also, with a solid tripod I've had no trouble composing and focusing, then screwing on the ND.

I just got my Lee Foundation Kit to go with the 77mm and 82mm WA adapter rings I've had for a while. Need to pick up some filters now...the Big Stopper will be one of them.

CPL/ND Filter question.

I've been able to AF with my 6 stop screw in filter without a problem. I haven't had any luck with the 10 stop ND. Thus far I've preferred the screw in filters as I can attach them any leave them there all day. This is handy in days I am taking multiple waterfall shots.

But you have me thinking about the 4x4 filters. And I just received a credit from B&H.

Re: CPL/ND Filter question.

One of the good things with a variable screw-on filter is that only the outside glass will have water splashed on it and can be wiped when the filter is left on the camera. The bad thing about where I live is waterfalls don't exist unless there's a downpour happening, and they stop shortly after the rain passes. As a result, I'm usually soaked and my hands are always wet. I don't think I'd feel comfortable letting go of my tripod long enough in an attempt to find a dry spot to pull out the squares and clean both sides prior to shooting. That's my experience in this area of the world anyway. I'd still love to get some 4x4s for when I go on vacation to places that actually have real waterfalls. Not really making a point. Just rambling a bit.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.