Thread: 50 1.4 took a hit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

50 1.4 took a hit

I have a hand strap on my 5D and had my neck strap connected to it. The hand strap buckle slipped and the camera fell to the ground with a terrible noise. The auto focus no longer works. Any one have an idea of what repair cost my run?

My 5D is ok.

Mark
    Mark

Re: 50 1.4 took a hit

That lens dies all the time. I once looked at my 50mm f/1.4 the wrong way and that was enough to break the autofocus. [] For mine it was about $100.

I posted that my 70-200 lens hit the ground without the camera body attached where I sent it to canon last week and already got it back. Cost 300 dollars with return shipping. Zoom and focus were affected by the fall plus they had to remove my bent filter. The printed invoice said the focus mechanism had to be replaced.

That sound of your camera/lens hitting the ground if awful I know. Good luck

Well, it

Yep it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

Well, it's not going to cost more than a new lens. But the standard parts+labor quote for most repairs is something like $130-160 IIRC. That's about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new lens. And that's why I don't own one. The EF 50/1.4 is one of the most fragile EF lenses in the lineup, surpassed only by the 50/1.8 II. It's beyond me why Canon offers four 50mm primes and you either have to baby them, or shell out $$ for one that isn't even as sharp at comparable apertures. It's like they don't know how to make a decent 50mm lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for all the replies.

I have read all the comments/reviews on this lens and purchased it anyway. I think I got a good copy because it was very sharp. I think it was acceptable wide open but much better at 2.0.

It took a hard enough hit I am sure if it had been my 100 f2.0 it would have killed it too. This is the first time I have had my camera hit the ground. I did not do a good job of securing my hand strop and it came loose.

Mark
    Mark