Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens recommendation

Lens recommendation

Hi I work in the golf department of a local country club and my boss has recently found out about my photography hobby. He wants me to take pictures of the course and different holes to use in brochures and to possibly put on display in the clubhouse. I have a T2i with the kit lens, 55-250, and 50 f/1.8, none of which will be very helpful. I was thinking about renting the 24-105 f/4. Do you think this lens would be good for what I am doing? I will be shooting at small apertures for maximum depth of field.

Thanks []

Re: Lens recommendation

I think you
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I'm afraid that the 10-22 would be too wide =/ Here is a shot i took yesterday just to get a feel for it http://flic.kr/p/8HBVXkthis was just a quick shot taken after sunset with no tripod or any attempt to be artistic. Shot with the kit lens at 55mm, f/16, 1/50sec, ISO 1600

At small apertures the kit lens does pretty well. Sounds like what you need is a good tripod so you can shoot at ISO 100 instead of ISO 1600.

Yeah I have a Giottos tripod and I will definitely be using it when I am taking the actual photos that will be used. I was just thinking that if they end up putting a large print on the wall I want to use a high quality lens for extra-sharpness. Or am I wrong?

The 18-55mm IS kit lens isn
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I did try varying focal lengths and the 24-105 will cover everything I need. Plus I can always move back if I need to =) And yes, I will be replacing the kit lens soon. I seem to be stuck between the 24-105 and the 24-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker

I seem to be stuck between the 24-105 and the 24-70.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Both are great lenses. If you are going to be shooting mostly outdoors go with the 24-105. If you will be shooting indoors the 2.8 of the 24-70 will come in useful. Indoors you will find 24mm to not be quite wide enough some times with your crop sensor.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

In addition to considering rentals, perhaps you can use this opportunity to get your boss to pay for a reasonably priced new lens.

That would be awesome but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon []

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Both are great lenses. If you are going to be shooting mostly outdoors go with the 24-105. If you will be shooting indoors the 2.8 of the 24-70 will come in useful. Indoors you will find 24mm to not be quite wide enough some times with your crop sensor.

I will be doing a lot of both. Landscapes, the occasional portrait, and my little brothers basketball games are usually what I shoot. I would love to get the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II but that's a bit our of my price range [:P]

If you are not shooting an event, why not rent a good L prime and let your legs do the zooming. I do a lot of large prints and find my keeper rate goes up when using the primes.