Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with this mystery!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rzFoto

Please help me with this mystery!

<span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]

<span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]I went out did some shooting last weekend, and most of the pictures had these random pixels either much brighter or much darker than the surrounding pixels. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]All pictures were taken with my 40D and 70-200 f4 IS with ISO between 100-320.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The problem is clearly shown in the following example (original picture enlarged to 300% for better viewing). <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Can anyone please tell me what this is?
    <font face="'Times New Roman'" style="font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.16/dots.jpg[/img]
    </font>

Re: Please help me with this mystery!

What quality were you shooting at?

rzFoto

I shoot RAW only. The image was cropped to 300% so people can see the dots easily. This problem only occurs with the 70-200 F4 IS lens.

Quote Originally Posted by rzFoto
    This problem only occurs with the 70-200 F4 IS lens.

That seems to imply that the issue is with the lens...does it occur at all focal lengths/apertures? When you remove the lens and look through it, does the glass look clean?

rzFoto

<span style="font-size: 6.5pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]<o></o>

rzFoto

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    That seems to imply that the issue is with the lens...does it occur at all focal lengths/apertures? When you remove the lens and look through it, does the glass look clean?

<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I'd say it occurs in many focal length/apertures. The lens is very clean - the dots are clearly single pixels, so I am not sure if it is lens or the sensor or combination of both.

That looks like images that use to come out of my old Nikon Coolpix 5000. That was a huge reason I bought Canon DSLR.

rzFoto

Keith, it is from a Canon 40D and the expensive 70-200 f/4L lens. Maybe Canon does not like me as much as you[:P]

My first guess is that it's an issue with the raw conversion. Can you post the raw file? Yousendit.com is a free way to host the raw file.

rzFoto

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

My first guess is that it's an issue with the raw conversion. Can you post the raw file? Yousendit.com is a free way to host the raw file.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I do not have the RAW file with me right now, I will check after I go home and post the RAW file. Thanks!