Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life of a Canon

Life of a Canon

I need to know how long is a Canon (40d in my case) life, I mean how many shots can take in its life.

The camera broke down: the main circuit is totally damaged (unknown reason).

If its main circuit is repaired (very very expensive: euro 300), does
    the camera's life start from zero again? It becomes "new" again?

Any technical help and advise is much appreciated.

Sorry for my non-technical language and poor English.

Thank you.

Cristina

Re: Life of a Canon

Well, the 40d is "rated" to 100,000 shots, but it sure can take more than that in its lifetime! Repairing the main circuit wouldn't make the camera "new", to do that would require replacing the shutter unit (and also depends on what physical wear there is to the camera), which is significantly cheaper. But I suggest you do replace the circuit.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

brendan

Thank you, Brendan, for welcoming me and your kind and quick reply.

The body Canon 40d was already used (bought in 2007 but I don't know how many shots were taken with it) and out of warrenty when a kind guy gave me that as a Christmas gift at the end of December 2009.

Just after one month and half the camera stuck on "busy" on top display and nothing were working except the autofocus! I'm "obliged" to replace all the damaged main circuit.

I didn't know about the shutter unity. Thank you so much.

I've always had a manual Canon AE-1. Since February 2006 I've been using a Nikon coolpix S1.

This Canon 40D is a giant step for me! I'm always so excited when I can use it.

I'm an absolute beginner and everything to learn.

Many thanks,

Cristina

When you take a picture I believe it will be named IMG XXXX. That number is the shutter number, which is how many actuations (pictures) the shutter has taken. Maybe you could try that?

Hmmm... that sounds very clever if the photo counter cannot be modified ;-)

You mean that it starts from zero up to 100,000 (for example)? And when that no. is reached? It goes back to zero again?

Anyway I must wait for the camera got repaired to check it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina CP
    You mean that it starts from zero up to 100,000 (for example)? And when that no. is reached? It goes back to zero again?

The 40d is "rated" to 100,000 shutters. That means that the shutter is "guaranteed" to work properly until at least 100,000 actuations. Usually, nothing happens after 100,000, it's just a rating, just as a car has a ten-year warranty. I know photographers who have 250,000 actuations on their cameras; most shutter units don't break after their rated mark, but many people replace their shutter units once they reach their rated limit. But I will say very few photographers will reach 100,000 shutters. I'm averaging about 2,000 actuations/month so I would have to use my 7D for more than five years at this rate before I would have to worry.

I think on the 40D the file number goes up to 9,999 then starts at zero again. I've done this 6 times now so I'm up over 60,000 shutter actuations and my 40D is still going strong.

The size ofits sensor hasn't grown yet though... maybe I need to give it some sort of growth hormone [:P]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

You mean that it starts from zero up to 100,000 (for example)?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If you set file numbering to Auto Reset and format the memory card the image number goes back to 001. There is software you can download to see more EXIF data that will show you the shutter count.

Mark
    Mark

Many thanks Mark - clemmb, can you tell me kindly the software name to download to see the shutter count?

I'm eating bread and water to be able to get my camera repaired ;-) I'll check it when I can have my loving baby in my hands. I do hope very soon as I've been missing it for one month and a half by now...

@ btaylor: for the hormones I think it's harder to get them ;-)

I thank you all. In just one post I've learnt a lot!

Welcome to the Forums

Since your camera is at Canon, you can call them up and ask them to check the shutter count for you. They can do that. The file number is not accurate, if you use a memory card that was previously used on another Canon body, the file number on that camera could be transfered to your 40D. Regarding the shutter, yes, it is rated at 100,000 actuation, but shutters do fail early. Mine did at around 30,000 clicks, Canon fixed it for free even though the camera was 3 months out of warranty. Shutter can fail anytime, if you shoot anything that is very important, bring a backup body![]