Thread: Monopod recomendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Monopod recomendations?

I wasn't sure if I should get a tripod or maybe a monopod would be better for me. I can't afford a light weight tripod and I think I would hate to carry one anyway. So, a monopod seems to be a better fit. Maybe it can double as a walking stick. There is a guy I know that carves very different walking sticks out of wood, it would be cool to be able to rig it up somehow into a monopod. Oh well, just thinking out loud, don't know how well that would work because I wouldn't be able to fold it down to a smaller size.
    Are there any monopods that you really like? And why?
    Any you have had that didn't work out for you?
    Do I need to purchase anything seperately to put onto the camera/lens to make it fit on the monopod?
    If anyone is reading this that responded to my 400mm or 100-400mm thread, I posted a reply question.
    Thank you,
    naturac

I have a Manfrotto 694CX (carbon fiber, 4-section) that I like. I fitted it with a Manfrotto 234 tilt head, and a Wimberley C-12 clamp on that for the Acra-Swiss plates I now use (previously, I had the 234RC head with Manfrotto RC2 plates). The combination of the tilt head (set almost-but-not-quite tight) and the tripod collar (loosened very slightly) acts sort of like a gimbal - I can hold the camera with two hands, weight supported by the monopod, and follow birds in flight, quickly spinning from landscape to portrait orientation for framing.

This shot was captured like that, tilting up and rotating the monopod as the GBH rose through the air:

EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/1600 s, f/6.3, ISO 200

If you don't want to spend a lot of dough, this Slik monopod has some nice features. I used it in Europe a couple of years ago and it was easy to carry and very fast to open and set up. The spring loaded adjustments come in very handy for getting the exact height you need. It loads and carries easily on a backpack and if you use a neck strap or shoulder strap for your camera, you can leave the collapsed monopod attached for a short period while walking around. I grabbed several decent night shots in and around Salzburg using just this monopod.

This is a recommendation from Bryan - Manfrotto 680B

It's aluminum, so it's not as light as carbon fiber, but it's rated for very heavy loads and is built like a tank. I don't use monopods often; however, I own this one and it works very well whenever the occasion calls for it.

I have the older version of this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...82_Carbon.html

It will screw directly on to the lenses foot pad. You do not need the head or attachments unless you want them. I use a Gitzo tripod with my telephoto lenses now, the Slik is just gathering dust but did its job well. I have Wimberly clamp on mine but only because I needed a way to attach the plate which stays mounted on my lenses. Otherwise I put no head on a monopod, but everyone has their own style.

I prefer the screw type over the clamp type for quick adjustment. The slik screw type thread is a bit long, the Gitzo will lock and unlock in just a short turn.

I just bought the Manfrotto 679B last week... I haven't been able to try it out in the field yet, but is very solidly built and should work great.

I was interested in the Manfrotto 334B for a while - the one-handed adjustment and step-and-pull one-handed extension. But, what decided me against it was the much longer retracted length compared to the 4-section one I got.