Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't recommend Canon Canada for repairs!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can't recommend Canon Canada for repairs!!!

Ok I going to vent a little here so please understand my problem.

Bought my new 5DMark11 last December 08 had it for a while then problems started it wouldn't turn on! Had to remove the battery and re-install and turn it on and it would stay on from a few minutes to an hour, then the same thing again, wouldn't turn on. Do you realize how many shots I missed?

Ok so returned to the store where I bought it from, they sent it back to Canon Canada in Toronto. It took three weeks before I got it back. Well you know what it started acting up again a few weeks later, same problem! Sent it back again June 28 09 and on my repair ticket the store stated "2nd repair same problem please Rush". So nearly a month later still no Camera, called the store no idea when it will be repaired or ?

Now I called the Toronto repair they will look into it and call me back tomorrow. Am I wrong to get upset with Canon? Their service is like a black hole, once in who knows what's happening!

I sent it in early so I can have it for vacation I figured a month before vacation should be enough time.

Anyway I hope they'll call me back tomorrow and let me now what's going on with the repairs. If not I'm asking them to sent it back repaired or not as I need it by next friday, July 31. I already lost a week vacation without my camera.

And on top of that Canon warranty is 12 months so 2 months of that is spent at Canon, GREAT warranty that is, 10 of 12!

Thanks for lending me a shoulder to cry on.

A disappointed Canon user.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Re: Can't recommend Canon Canada for repairs!!!

Send it to Canon directly, don't go through the store.

Just curious, did you get any formal paperwork from Canon explaining the problem when you got your camera back?

My experiences with Canon Canada didn't take inordinately long, but not that quick either. Since this is under warranty I gather you're not out-of-pocket. One negative I have experienced with their service: their fees are very standardized, ie: any repair of certain category costs a set amount, regardless of the actual labour/parts outlay. It's sort of like insurance, if your repair is a breeze, you end up financingsomeone else'smore complex repair.

Nope just got the ticket from the store. Nothing from Canon.

When I called Canon I gave them my s/n of my camera so they can find it in their system.

The rep. couldn't tell me whats happening with my camera nor could she tell me when to expect the repairs will be complete.

Like I said a Blackhole.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Get your camera back, look up the information of Canon Canada Factory Service Center and contact them directly. I doubt that the store where you bought your camera sent it in for repair.

P.S Mendel, good to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    P.S Mendel, good to see you here.

Hi Sinh [].

Quote Originally Posted by icanon

Ok so returned to the store where I bought it from, they sent it back to Canon Canada in Toronto. It took three weeks before I got it back. Well you know what it started acting up again a few weeks later, same problem! Sent it back again June 28 09 and on my repair ticket the store stated "2nd repair same problem please Rush". So nearly a month later still no Camera, called the store no idea when it will be repaired or ?

I sent it in early so I can have it for vacation I figured a month before vacation should be enough time.

Anyway I hope they'll call me back tomorrow and let me now what's going on with the repairs. If not I'm asking them to sent it back repaired or not as I need it by next friday, July 31. I already lost a week vacation without my camera.

Lesson 1: "Second repair, same problem" should be written on the outside of the box. A group of people seem to work at each facility doing nothing more than checking in equipment, and somehow they have so much process around it that they apparently check in equipment in the order it was received (i.e. I'm guessing a day's worth of check-in work arrives each day). Return repairs should supposedly get priority over initial repairs, but there's no sense losing time in the check-in group if you don't need to.

The unfortunate reality is that Canon never promised you quick repairs, only that they'll warranty the camera. That said, electronics with all sorts of different circuitry (motors, sensors, switches, detachable lenses) lead to challenging troubleshooting, and I suspect your camera is on a bench somewhere in tens or hundreds of pieces. For return repairs like yours, I'm told that a supervisor checks the work when the camera arrives, a technician performs the new repair, and then a supervisor checks the repair work before the camera is ready for return.

Sadly, the best advice is to have a backup camera, and for that backup camera to be "good enough" to shoot with when you need it most. I for one have been learning this the hard way, with a Rebel XTi trying to back up a 1D Mark III. Mine went in for a service bulletin (turns out they replaced a washer), and 16 shots later it became essentially a brick, requiring the replacement of the entire mirror box assembly. I lost a week of vacation without my camera too.

I really wish Canon would offer some sort of flat-rate loaner program, i.e. for $X we'll send you an equivalent camera to use while yours is in for repair. I know it'd never work for them (collection of the loaner camera could be a nightmare), but it sure would motivate them to turn repairs around quicker. I don't even bother suggesting it, as I know they wouldn't listen.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Your camera may have not have been given to Canon for repair. Canon gives a repair record when you get your product back. Never take anything back to the store unless they will exchange it directly. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]By the way, was your camera seal in the box, or was the instructions, battery, camera body, etc.,wrapping been opened?<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]If so, this camera could have been used by someone else and returned. That has happen to me before. So always look carefully at the bags that the products are wrapped in.

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]So until you find out, I would not blame Canon<o></o>

Well I'm sorry but the camera was brand new when I bought it. I was one of the first to order it and one of the first to receive it.

Next the first time I sent it, Canon did service it, doc's to prove it.

This time when I sent it Canon rep. did say they received it on June 30, two days later it was sent by my store where I bought it.

My compliant is that its nearly a month and NO camera and no date as to when I'm getting it back!

So is that customer service or just tough luck buddy we got your money (when I bought it) and we'll take our time to repair it since it's free repair on warranty or something?

So I'm blaming Canon!

I got an other body a 30D but it's not a full fame, it not the same camera and I didn't pay over 3 grand to have a camera sit at some repair center. And besides I lost two months of warranty due to the same reason. sitting at a repair center.

Let me begin a little more carefully: I feel your pain, as I went through a similar experience with Canon California. In my case, my camera went from "occasionally frustrating" (much like yours) before the first fix to "completely unusable" after the first fix, so getting my camera back "fixed or not" wouldn't have done me much good. I'm sorry to hear that your camera is hostage at Canon.

Well I'm sorry but the camera was brand new when I bought it. I was one of the first to order it and one of the first to receive it.

At any point, did you consider that early-model equipment could be problematic? "Latest" isn't always "Greatest".

My compliant is that its nearly a month and NO camera and no date as to when I'm getting it back!

So is that customer service or just tough luck buddy we got your money (when I bought it) and we'll take our time to repair it since it's free repair on warranty or something?

Ask Canon to escalate the matter. Ask Canon how many technician-hours have been spent on your camera. If the number is lower than perhaps four hours for every work day that it's been on the bench, ask them why it's getting so little attention. It is possible that your camera has had to go from group to group to group, potentially causing some queueing delays along the way.

I got an other body a 30D but it's not a full fame, it not the same camera and I didn't pay over 3 grand to have a camera sit at some repair center. And besides I lost two months of warranty due to the same reason. sitting at a repair center.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

We know it's not the same camera. It's a backup camera, and many of us keep a backup just for that reason. One of the benefits of having a backup camera that's a different model is immunity from common problems. And I know that you didn't _intend_ for this purchase to spend a month at a repair center, but (unless you entered into a special contract at purchase time) you bought an object with a warranty that doesn't promise a particular turnaround time on repairs. I'd also stop worrying about the loss of two months of warranty coverage - these forums alone show numerous tales of Canon providing in-warranty repair coverage when the warranty had actually expired, and I suspect if you have problems in the future you can just mention the delays you encountered here. Besides, normal process is to send the camera in for repairs and wait for an estimate. You'll know if they'll warranty it as part of the estimate process right up front.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.