Thread: Stolen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stolen

I would have hope that working for a gov't organization these things wouldnt happen.

I called in sick yesterday. I arrive back today to find my 40D and 12-24 f4, and my safety vest stolen from my office.

bastards.

Re: Stolen

Ouch.

Oh no!?!

Can you hold them responsible in any way?

Do you have theft insurance?

1: No not really, although if the schmuck gets caught he/she gets fired. Filing a police report.

2: I believe my homeowners will cover it.

Too late for this event, but I have a "camera" policy and I swear by it and recommend it to all of my photographer friends. For me, it's a "Valuable Personal Property" policy, same thing that would cover guns, jewelry, and art. You tell them what gear you have, and it's a no-deductible replacement-cost policy. Two years ago when my suitcase was stolen, I told them what was in it (Minolta 7D at the time), they asked me to show them the current model, and I sent them a link to Ritz Camera's website for the Sony (I think they only had one model at the time). Bingo, direct deposit into my checking account the next day. I think the premium is about 1-1.5% annually based on the value of the gear, at least for me.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Might be a cleaning services person. Usually coworkers are unwilling to risk their jobs to steal from the office, especially if there is a security desk or cameras in the building. Cleaners, though, are typically low-wage earners who have relatively little to lose--the value of the stolen property is high enough to overcome the risk. But for someone earning, say, > $35k/year, a $1-2k camera is not worth losing that income.