Thread: Moving-advertising

Moving-advertising

I don't know how many forum users are professional or hobbyist photographers....perhaps both, but i need some advice.

I've never really did much advertising. The "business" started small and slow and just gradually grew over time. I wasn't looking at photography as a means to support the family. As i had a full time job and did the photography gig on the side. In fact, photography was just a hobby andsomehow i started getting paid. Still not sure how that happened.

I am moving in 6 months, 900miles away to charleston, sc. I do not have a job yet down there, as we are moving to be closer to the family...(the "n" laws family..ugh). I amlooking for a full time job,i want to start the photography business up again. Even though it wasn't enough alone to support the family, it was nice having the extra money. It was like having2 jobs andactuallyenjoying one of the jobs.

How much advertising does one do when starting all over again? And, in what ways do youget your name out there?

My plan right now wasto get my business card out at localhang outs....and perhaps putup a couple flyers atlocal schools (if that is even legal?).

Any advice?

Sig

Re: Moving-advertising

If you don't have a website get one pretty quick. You want to have a website address on your BC and you definitely need those quick.I wouldn't do the flyer thing at the schools. Go to the local chamber of commerce they can probably help you quite a bit. They might get you in touch with local publications, and you might be able to do stuff on trade for advertising in their publications. That happens a lot with the magazines I work for. My employers love photographers that will do stuff on trade.

Re: Moving-advertising

I believe public places allow flyers. (I don't know about schools though). There is a small music studio near me that had a flyer up for a portrait service.

After you make some friends in Charleston, you might start by shooting them for free (or reallly low cost) and asking them to mention you to their friends. Then you can charge full price for the friends' friends.

Idefinitelyagree with Keith B on the website though.

*Oh!* you might try advertising in school newsletters? That situation differs from school to school though.

Hope I helped,

Rodger