Thread: Advise on Mounting Prints

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advise on Mounting Prints

Hi everyone. Bryan, great site, I thank you. Everyone, great forum, I thank you.

I've been holding onto some ideas about what I'd like to do with some of my favorite shots to have them printed and more tangible, and it involves mounting them. Every time I think about how I want to do it, I just come back to the same idea. I would love to have mounted prints sitting in a bin so that I could just thumb through them. A great analogy I draw on are record albums in a store. So, my first question is: has anyone done anything similar to this? Suggestions?

I've tried doing some lighthearted research online about mounting, but I didn't turn much up other than cutting mat board for framing. Bear in mind, I do not want to frame these prints. There are two basic processes that I would call mounting. One is dry mounting, which I am familiar with, but am ruling out because I have no press. The other is simply hinging two mats and making a backboard and a window. The second question: is there more mounting knowledge I need? Is the knowledge I have accurate? Does anyone have a link to a good source about mounting prints?

I figured it's time to bounce ideas off other people, and who better than you?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Re: Advise on Mounting Prints

I've considered blowing up a few shots too, and found this Canadian site, Canvas Canada. Now, I've never used them, and have no idea if they're good, I'm just pointing out one of their options. Your preferred printer may have a similar option.

You'll see they have a laminated/foam core mount option. If you click through the header on the price chart, you'll find a few extra details, such as it being 3/16" thick... which seems sort of like what you're after.

If you'd prefer to save money and mount things yourself, you could try to dig up details on a 'foam core' mount, now that you've got a name to search for. (edit: Here's a PDF describing how to do it yourself. )
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the spray adhesive. Thanks David. If that's the route I take, that PDF will certainly come in handy. I should have also pointed out that I'd like to keep a white border around the photos. For instance, maybe a 10X10 mount for a 5X7 print.

Also, thanks for the link to Canvas Canada. However, I don't necessarily want large prints (I was thinking 5X7s or perhaps 8X10s) it looks like they only ship to Canada. I'm in the US, so I'd be out on those sweet looking canvases anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13
    I'm in the US, so I'd be out on those sweet looking canvases anyway.

Check out mpix.com, they have done well for me in the past. I have had several pictures mounted on different backings and shipped directly to relatives who have liked the results. They do canvas, foam-board, etc. They'll even frame for slightly higher than target frames prices!

Hope that helps.

Dan

Bob,

Here is something i am considering, it is called studio tac. I do not know much about it but it seems relatively cheap and has some decent reviews at BH photo video.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/144613-REG/Nielsen_Bainbridge_S1117HT_Studio_Tac_11_5.html#re views

Todd

Personally, I just use mat board, a cutter, and usually do 16x20 size board, in part because you can get 32x40" mat board cheap from bdmatboard.com, as well as a whole bunch fo 16x20 plastic bags. However, most of the stuff I've mounted is in the possession of a friend, who said that he was going to frame some, but I haven't been there recently, and I doubt it's doing much more than sitting in the box.

I've found that a single sheet of glass, held on with binder clips sans the little levers, isn't that atrocious looking, is easy, and presents the photograph reasonably well. Frame is better, or real clips, but I'm cheap.

More time, maybe later, get back to it...

Oh, also, 16x20 is a standard box size, which you can get relatively cheap if you're not fussy.