Thread: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

Currently, I own and am very pleased with the Canon Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM but as many others do, I lust for the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM Lens. With that in mind I am wondering if the new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM would be a happy medium that would not cost me an arm, a leg and a mortgage payment!

Does anyone here own this lens yet? Even if you don't, I am still interested in hearing feedback on what your opinion is of what you've seen and read about it so far. I have never owned anything but Canon lenses, so Sigma owners I'd really like to hear what your opinion is.

This review I read (link below) makes it sound like it would be a really good purchase. Of course, I am sure it doesn't come close to the beauty the 85mm f/1.2 L II can produce but it sounds like it's one heck of a sharp lens!

Opinions please ...very much appreciated!!!

Denise

A review ...

http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/

Re: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

I

Within the last 5 minutes, someone just bought the last one that was available on Amazon! Was it you, Daniel?

Not this time, but when they go out of stock at B&H, you

I am just a newbie to this forum Denise and a newbie in experience level. I have the Canon 24L 1.4 which is my favourite lens, but I have had the Sigma 85mm for a week now and I love it.

I rented the Canon 85 1.2 and the Canon 50 1.2 the week before I bought the Sigma and while I would love to have the 85 1.2, by buying the Sigma 85 1.4, it has literally left an extra $1400 in the bank account and I will be ready to buy either the new 70-300 or the 8-15 as soon as they are released for "about" a combined cost similar to the 85 1.2 expenditure. If wedding photography or portraiture was my main source of income I would not have settled for less than the 85 1.2, but because it is my hobby, I know I will be happy with the Sigma 85 and the new Canon 8-15 as a pairing.

I love Canon L glass and have five of them but the Sigma 85 is very sweet. The focus is faster than the Canon 85 1.2, but slower than the Canon 50 1.2. The bokeh is as good as the 85 1.2, build very similar and the Sigma takes a 77mm filter and looks very impressive on the 7D.

I have posted a series of photos already on the forum after I had it only a couple of hours and they showed more my short comings than the lenses.

This weekend I will use the tripod and take some more shots. Here in Australia they are selling very well, a lot of people waited a long time to get this lens and so far it is delivering the goods. I suppose in the long run, it is a portrait lens and people will either pay $1000 for the Sigma and get a very good lens or $2200 for the 85 1.2 and also get a very very good portrait lens.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Hi Steve -

Thanks for you response! I think I may be selling one of my favorite lenses (the 85 f/1.8) to get this one. Were your zombie walk photos taken with this lens?

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Opinions please ...very much appreciated!!!

If the Sigma 50mm is somewhat of an example of what they can do.... It's very promising, at least concerning image quality... We'll see what the AF motor will do for this one. Anyways, it seems like a very interesting lens, very interesting!