Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24EX Macro Twin Lite...comments any one

24EX Macro Twin Lite...comments any one

I have been thinking about this flash for some time for macro. I almost bought it last week.

Has any one used this and what do they think? I have heard reviews that it is harsh. That you have to soften the flash.

Most of my macro work would be outside, probably insects would seem the best use for this flash. Butterflies are hard to catch and when in the shade it poses a problem without a flash. A lot of the reviews I have seen were from dental offices and other similar applications taking inside and static pictures. For brightly lit areas I am sure this flash would do fine, but I want a softer light for what I do.

Re: 24EX Macro Twin Lite...comments any one

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    <span style="font-weight: normal;"]comments any one<span style="font-weight: normal;"]

I have a comment...I want one! []

FWIW, Sto-Fen makes a diffuser set for the MT-24EX, which I'd probably get. There's a blog post about building diffusers using the Sto-Fens as frames for Gary Fong puffer diffusers.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I have a comment...I want one! [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Me too!! I've been trying to justify another camera equipment expense to the boss. Not getting much sympathy. [:'(]

Paul

All the pictures in this album were taken with the MT-24 with no diffusers. If I were in a mood to complain, I would complain about the reflections, not the quality of the light. But I've used it a lot and am very glad I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedoc
    justify another camera equipment expense to the boss

She just saw me looking on B&amp;H and said....... "You have a problem."

[:$]

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedoc
    She just saw me looking on B&amp;H and said....... "You have a problem."

You know DoggieDoc, a lot of the reviews I read on the 24EX were from Dentist offices.....Wouldn't a Vet need one of these to take pictures of Fido's teeth.

Neuro,

I had seen a post on a different web site describing how to do the exact same thing. I also heard others say they would take the Sto-Fen's and then cover them with materials to further diffuse the light. I guess it would be a trial and error thing. I want to keep the light as soft as possible.

Jon,

The samples were very good. It is "reflection" I was worrying about, would a person be able to get the light soft enough to eliminate this completely.

Wouldn't a Vet need one of these to take pictures of Fido's teeth?

Sounds reasonable enough to me!

HDNitehawk,

I have been looking to buy a macro flash system and came across www.xotopro.com. I like it a lot and seriously think about buying the mount, as I already have two 580EX IIs. Take a look for yourself.

Pete

Novoflex makes similar products, e.g. [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240736-REG/Novoflex_UNIMARM_Flash_Bracket_with_Two.html]THIS ONE[/url].

Personally, for a single flash (430EX II), I have used aManfrotto 233B Flash Bracket with a GiottosMH1004 mini ball headand an OC-E3 - the extendible bracket is long enough and adjustable enough to position the flash head right at the end of the lens (or lens hood). The bracket + ballhead runs less than $80. This one was shot with that setup (handheld):

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/4875341569/in/set-72157624616379818/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS USM, 1/60 s, f/8, ISO 400, 430EX II on Manfrotto 233B flash bracket via OC-E3

The setup is a bit bulky and unwieldy, but I guess I'd describe the MT-24EX like that, too. The other advantage to an MT-24EX (or MR-14EX) is that they can be wireless masters, so you can trigger an off-camera strobe to light the background if you want. For me, using the MT-24EX with the 100 L macro was a 'nice to have' but with the MP-E 65mm, extra light is pretty much a requirement, even for static subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<span style="font-weight:normal;"]comments any one<span style="font-weight:normal;"]

I have a comment...I want one! [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

FWIW, Sto-Fen makes a diffuser set for the MT-24EX, which I'd probably get. There's a blog post about building diffusers using the Sto-Fens as frames for Gary Fong puffer diffusers.

This is a great post. I used it to make the diffusers I use now on the MT-24. I would agree with what you heard about the twin being harsh without modification. Before the twin, I used a 580EXII and homemade diffuser, which was much softer than the twin without modification. But it was too bulky (also used the Wimberley flash arm), and I wanted the flexibility from the MT-24's twin heads - so I started with the twin w/o diffusers. But the light was IMO harsh all the way from 1-5x. Next I added Fong Puffers and that made a huge difference from 3-5x. But at 1-2x the light was still too harsh for me and I made the diffuser Delantech described on his blog. That's been the ticket for me. Light is soft from 1-5x.

The various versions of the puffer diffusers help by not only diffusing the flash (increasing the light's surface area), but it gets that light closer to your subjects. The distance was what the puffers alone needed further help on, and what made the light harsh still when at 1-2x. The new diffuser that uses the sto-fen &amp; puffers diffuses the flash twice and gets the light source closest to the subject (sometimes too close). I would really recommend the combo personally, but of course people have different tolerance levels on all these points. Enjoy the flash though, and all the macro fun!