Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Discuss the Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review- tell us what you think of the Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash.

Re: Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

i think...i need one quick.[]

thank you Brian for another great review

Very nice flash in a smaller package than the 580EX II. Not sure why Canon choose not to enable this as a master strobe in their wireless system, it would be nice to have a smaller strobe on camera for this task especially when you want minimal flash output from the camera position. The foot on this strobe is the most solid system I have seen to date while maintaining compatibility.....nice job Canon. I'd have to agree with Bryan that the extra $$$$ for the 580EX II is well worth it despite the bigger size.

I have been an available light shooter forever, and I struggle to understand the mechanics of strobism. (That is the term, right?) Not the concepts - I understand how light works - but the methods. I need a brief primer on how to use the darn thing. I own this flash and I have struggled to get even the most basic results out of it. The curve issteep, even for a dedicated learner like me.

Bryan, you hint at the methods you use, but a novice with strobes, even a motivated one, can get frustrated trying to figure out exactly how to achieve those ends. Or at least I do. Might you post a step by step 101/primer?

Quote Originally Posted by I chase light

I have been an available light shooter forever, and I struggle to understand the mechanics of strobism. (That is the term, right?) Not the concepts - I understand how light works - but the methods. I need a brief primer on how to use the darn thing. I own this flash and I have struggled to get even the most basic results out of it. The curve issteep, even for a dedicated learner like me.

Bryan, you hint at the methods you use, but a novice with strobes, even a motivated one, can get frustrated trying to figure out exactly how to achieve those ends. Or at least I do. Might you post a step by step 101/primer?

..useful information here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=1866

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Alan

Speaking of flashes, has anyone tried one of these?

If so, how does is handle "red-eye?"

http://www.expoimaging.net/product-detail.php?cat_id=8&product_id=15&keywords =Ray_Flash:_The_Ring_Flash_Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by I chase light

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Long story short, don't expect great results with green-box (full auto), P or M exposure modes, and/or with manual flash power levels. Let E-TTL2 do its magic for a while, and try doing so in Av where you can choose the depth-of-field for your desired result. Choose your aperture first based on your own sense of DoF or some test shots, then tweak ISO to get a reasonable shutter speed (you want at least 1/effective-focal-length if possible, or 8/EFL if you have an IS lens and your subject can hold still). Flash will illuminate your subject, but ambient will illuminate your background.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote from the review:

On the front, each of these flashes (and the flash transmitter) has a red window - this is the source of the AF assist light.
    A light from this window will intermittently flash while setup in slave/remote mode.
    The darker window on the 430EX II and 580EX II is the remove/slave receiver.
    Do not block this area when using the flash as a remote.
    The 580EX II adds a PC Synch input port (as mentioned above) to the red window.

...uhhh, if you mean physique, then that is a no, what you see in front is the external automatic flash exposure sensor http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...amp;fromTips=1, the PC Sync input port is behind the bottom rubber flap on the side []

...but if you mean that the 580exII adds a PC Sync input port to the 'red window system', then that is a yes []

...&euro;0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Max - You are correct. My brain must have skipped a track on that one.

I Chase Light - That is an article I would like to do some day. I'll put it on the todo list.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Hopefully you found the review useful.

A common point that I often make when choosing between the 430 and 580 series is bounce rotation: AFAIK the 430s rotate 180 degrees left and 90 degrees right (i.e. not a full circle). The 580s rotate 180 degrees left and 180 degrees right. For those who shoot a lot of portrait-oriented (vertical) shots of subjects shorter than you, this can limit your bounce aiming. Does it matter much? Nope.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.