Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
I think the jury is still out on the tripod collar. Personally, I'm pessimistic. Also, if it's not included and they only 'gig us for another $75 bucks' thatwould be a tremendous bargain - the currently available Canon-branded tripod mounts range from $140-$180.

Lets be optimistic. Since Canon hasn't posted the estimated retail price on their web site, maybe this lens will come in reasonably priced. Maybe less than $1500?? Probably not.

The only pricing I have seen so far is in the original announcment which gave an approximate retail price of $1500. If the ring is included I wonder if I can get a $140-$180 discount if I take it without the tripod ring.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
The full quote you excerpted from the overview is ""Gleaming white,<span>witha removable tripod collar, dust and water resistant construction, and a newly developed Fluorine coatingthat keeps soiling, smears and fingerprints to a minimum, its phenomenal performance and flexibility is assured." Maybe the optional removable tripod collar contributes to the 'phenomenal...flexibility'?

Phenomenal ...flexiblity: It adds the ability of your camera to turn sideways, upside down or other angles when attached to a tripod, as compared to just attaching your camera to the tripod and only shooting in a level position. I am not sure this qualifies as Phenomenal....but ok its a good thing.