Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with walkaround lens - Canon EF 28-135mm / EF-S 18-200mm

Help with walkaround lens - Canon EF 28-135mm / EF-S 18-200mm

Hi there, I'm having some truble deciding what new lens to buy and I was hoping to get some advice.

I currently own a Canon D500, I have the original lens I got it with - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. I bought the Canon EF 55mm f1.4 which I'm really happy with. My purpose now was to replace my 18-55 as a walkaround lens with something that would have at least the same picture quality over that range but hopefully that would offer me some extra range.

I'm going to buy a second hand lens and I'm willing to spend around 200-300$ (from what I've seen that goes to around a 500-650$ new lens)

I read a bunch of reviews but I would like some advice for my particular situation. I would use this lens as my primary lens when I'm traveling, or just walking around the town for some interesting scenes worth capturing.

My main options are:

EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - seen some good reviews but I'm afraid the picture quality will suffer too much with such a large range. I particular remember reading that barrel distortion is quite large on this one.

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - I've read some contradictory reviews on this one, some say the picture quality is pretty good managing to get quite some sharp images, others have been harsher on the image quality on both the lower / higher end. The 28mm lower end worries me as well as I don't want to carry my 18-55 around.

What do you think I should get?

Thanks =]

Re: Help with walkaround lens - Canon EF 28-135mm / EF-S 18-200mm

First: run, don't walk, to the nearest 15-85. Yes, it costs 15% more than the 18-200, and yes, it doesn't have quite as much range. But when it comes to image quality it is in a totally different world than the two lenses you are looking at.

Second, stay away from the 28-135. It the same price and image quality as the 18-135, but less range. The only reason to buy it would be if you had full frame.

Third, the two lenses you picked have *worse* image quality than your existing kit lens. You said you wanted "at least the same picture quality over that range", but you wont get it, especially in the corners. (Center of the frame is pretty close.)

Lastly: 15-85. Really.

Helloand welcome to the forums...

It's great that you narrowed down your choices to only two lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by kiuilop

My main options are:

EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - seen some good reviews but I'm afraid the picture quality will suffer too much with such a large range. I particular remember reading that barrel distortion is quite large on this one.

Judging by Bryan's review of said lens, this lens seems to get the job done. Barrel distortion can always be adjusted post processing via Canon DP or anyimage editing application. As for the focusing motor it is a *micro motor* not ring based *USM or Ultra Sonic Motor*- the difference is in speed whereas USM willdo circles around themicro motor.

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - I've read some contradictory reviews on this one, some say the picture quality is pretty good managing to get quite some sharp images, others have been harsher on the image quality on both the lower / higher end. The 28mm lower end worries me as well as I don't want to carry my 18-55 around.

For starters, I used to own this lens and though I was content with the image quality I found it lacking on the long end. Bryan's review of the lens is *smack on*. I also found that dust collected easily under the front element. The lens also suffered from some serious lens *creep* whereby the lens would extend on its own when pointed down/up for example. However the focusing was quick and silent. For all of it's short comings, its not bad for the price.

Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of the *double trombone* design in which these 2 lenses mention are based on. I feel that this design leads to play in the lens when extended and allows dust into the tubebut there area couple of lenses out there with this design without this problem.

Reading through your post, it seems that you are wanting at the short and long end and as such, the 18-200 fits the bill.

Have you looked atthird party lenses such as the:

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Lens

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens

Sigma's HSM and OS is comparable to Canon's USM IS, not sure about the Tamron.

Hope this helps...
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Daniel,

Unfortunately the 15-85 is a bit out of my possibilities right now, even though it might only be around 15% more expensive than the 18-200 I can't really find any 2nd hand available at a reasonable price (for my pocket).

I guess the EF-S 18-135mm could / should be an option as well. I think when I first started my decision process I decided that if I went to an EF-S would probably just take the highest range possible assuming the quality would be similar (I don't see myself changing to a full body anytime soon but I guess the value of an EF lens in the long run would always be better).Maybe I went wrong there!

Still worried about the quality on both of them being somewhat lower than in the 18-55 =/

Elmo

Thanks for your input. Is the post processing with Canon DP something automatic that the program can adjusts based on the lenses known defects or a photo by photo manual process?

what would you say to Daniel suggestion on the EF-S 18-135?

I haven't looked a lot into third party lenses as I've never tried any and had no reference for quality. I reckon they are a lot cheaper, I read some reviews on the website on a couple of them. would the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 comparable to the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS in terms of image quality?

Thank you once more guys

Unfortunately the 15-85 is a bit out of my possibilities right now, even though it might only be around 15% more expensive than the 18-200 I can't really find any 2nd hand available at a reasonable price (for my pocket).

Just so you know...the 15-85 currently is in rebate or whatever you call it. -100 dollars on a new one. These rebates end 11 september.

Look into the news section of 7 september.

Jan

Hi Kiuilop

My first hand experience is with the EFS 15-85 and it does takes sharp pictures. I've read/heard that either lens that you are asking about is not much of an improvement (if not worse)than your current lens. Rather, the two "bang for your buck" zoom lenses I've heard people talk about are your current kit lens and the EFS55-250 f4.0-5.6 IS. Other than that, maybe look at picking up another prime lens? I've heard great things about the 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2 and that the 24/28/35 mm (non-L) lenses aren't bad.

Good luck,

Brant

My main options are...EF-S 18-200mm...EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM...EF-S 18-135mm...

What do you think I should get?

Given your budget, I think you'd probably be best served by the 18-135mm lens. Bryan describes the 18-135mm lens as having, "image quality that is more on or slightly above a kit-lens level," and compared to the 18-200mm it has , "image quality that is similar or slightly better in sharpness and distortion."

Any of those three lenses are best used stopped down to f/8 or so, but will provide decent IQ in that case.

Definitely stay away from the 28-135mm lens, and also keep in mind that the 18-200mm lens doesn't really give you much more focal length than the 18-135mm. Bryan comments in his review that 200mm on that lens frames similar to 174mm; I tested a copy in a local camera shot compared to my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, and found that the 18-200mm @ 200mm gave similar framing as 154mm on the 70-200mm lens.

My purpose now was toreplace my 18-55 as a walkaround lens with something that would have at least the same picture quality over that range but hopefully that would offer me some extra range.

If that's your objective, then I think the 18-135mm will do that. It's just as wide, longer, and has approximately similar IQ and build quality.

On the other hand, if you want better IQ than your kit lens and still need to stay in the 18-135mm price range, you'll need to think prime lens. You already have the 50mm f/1.4 so you have some idea of the better IQ a prime can give. Having said that, both the 85mm f/1.8 and the 100mm f/2 offer better image quality than the 50mm f/1.4, especially wide open. I had the 85mm f/1.8, and it's really a wonderful lens, excellent for portraits and low-light (indoor, ambient) shooting.
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Just so you know...the 15-85 currently is in rebate or whatever you call it. -100 dollars on a new one. These rebates end 11 september.

Jan, that $100 rebate only applies if you buy the lens along with a qualifying dSLR body (1DIV, 5DII, or 7D). So unfortunately,<span>kiuilop will likely not be eligible for that discount.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Jan, that $100 rebate only applies if you buy the lens along with a qualifying dSLR body (1DIV, 5DII, or 7D). So unfortunately,<span>kiuilop will likely not be eligible for that discount.

Oh that's nasty, I did not see that...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

My purpose now was toreplace my 18-55 as a walkaround lens with something that would have at least the same picture quality over that range but hopefully that would offer me some extra range.

Well, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 offers you better image quality, but at the same range and without IS. In my opinion you better have one strong general lens than 1 longer zooming lens that is weaker... Once you see what a better lens can do, you'll get my point.

A second lens: prime or zoom would make more sense I think.

For just the extra zoom, you could also look at the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS. Second hand they are really cheap and you do get Image Stabilization which can be very helpful at longer focal lengths at minimum apertures of f5.6

Personally I think the 18-135 is too expensive for what it offers over the 18-55. But that's my thought.

Jan

For just the extra zoom, you could also look at the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS. Second hand they are really cheap and you do get Image Stabilization which can be very helpful at longer focal lengths at minimum apertures of f5.6

The combination of the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-250mm lens is often sold as a bundle with Rebel bodies. It's a good 'budget' combination. It seems likekiuilop wants to replace the kit lens with something more versatile (bigger zoom range) but in general, I agree - better glass goes a long way to getting better image quality, and in that price range I think replacing the kit lens with a lens that offers better IQ and the same focal range would be better than the same IQ and a longer range. The Tamron 17-50 non-VC fits that description well.

Personally I think the 18-135 is too expensive for what it offers over the 18-55. But that's my thought.

For a new copy of the lens, yes, I certainly agree, Jan. Since the OP is looking into used lenses, that may be an option - at least locally for me, the 18-135mm seems to go for ~$250-275, and the copies are all pretty new (because the lens was only released a year ago). I see the 18-135mm and 18-200mm come up pretty frequently on the used boards, I expect because people who get them for the versatility subsequently find themselves wanting better image quality. On the other hand, I only rarely see 15-85mm lenses come up for sale - not sure if that's because the IQ is good so people hang onto them, or because that lens is even more overpriced for what you get, so not many people buy it in the first place.

--John

I had a 50d with this lens. Its not that great. It has bad lens creep to. The lens if tilted at all will fall out to its maximum length. I do not have experince with the other lens, but I can warn you against this one. Yes you can manage to get "some sharp images" but a blind squirl will find a nut occasionaly.