Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best walkaround lens

Re: Best walkaround lens

I like the idea of Prime Only lens. I have the original 6 year old 6MP Rebel(17mm-85mm) for home use, but I might put an 85 f1.8 on it.

I sold my Bronica ETRSi (with three Prime lens) and I really miss the huge negative (15 years of Weddings). At work (Gov. Video Production), for stills, I use a Canon 5D (28-135 and a 2.8 70-200). My work back up is a D60.

For home, I'd like a new T1i (15MP). If I upgrade, I am buying a Canon 85mm f1.8, as the lens to keep on the camera. I was going to get the 50D, but why spend more money, when I already print 36"x36" enlargements from my RAW images, from my 6 year old Canon Rebel?

I was going to buy a Hasselblad, with three prime lens, on Ebay, for the big 6x6 negative, but my custom lab, said, "don't bother, just buy good glass for your new 15MP digital camera.

Any thoughts, before I spend $799 on the T1i or $1,098 for the 50D?

If you want a one lens solution, try the 18-200 IS. It gives you the wide to tele reach but IQ is sacrificed.

You can also go for the 28-135. Not as wide and not as long but the range is good enough for walk around.

You want a fast lens? try the 17-55 2.8 or the 24-70 2.8L. Again, with wide to mid tele capability. IQ is better too.

If you shoot mostly on tele, try the 55-250 or go for the white 70-200 L lenses.

Or as the others suggest, primes! But I can't suggest what prime to get though.

It will all boil down to what your shooting preference will be.

Best lenses for walk around are: 24-105mm F4 L which some one has also said and if you want something bigger the EF 28-300 f/3.5-5.6L IS USM which you mentioned as well which would give you extra range.

Dragon,

My father-in-law just got back from a three week African safari trip. He is a Nikon shooter, but he has an 18-200 lens on his D80. I would have guessed he would have been disappointed with it (being too short) but he was very pleased. He said there was very little time for changing lenses so having a one-stop solution worked very well. He is currently chained to his computer processing about 3,500 RAW images[]

Good luck with your choice!

David

Honestly, I don't own the Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens; but I think that little lens rocks on every APS-C camera. I'm going to have it in within days before my next trip. I use either 16-35L II or 24-70L on 50D to walk around at this moment. I think both of my L lenses will retire from my walk around list after I got the Tamron.

People say the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS is good, but personally I cannot justify the cost of it.

The Canon 17-85/4-5.6 IS has more reach but its 2-3 times slower than the Tamron, the distortion at 17mm is something to stop me too.

The new 18-200 IS is not a bad choice, but frankly speaking, comparing to Nikon's 18-200 it's lacking lots of things...

So yes, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is recommended.