4 years old 350d + EF-S 17-55 mm 2.8

or

brand new 40d + EF-S 17-85 mm 4-5.6

or

brand new 40d + Tamron AF 17-50 mm 2.8

Re: Good D-SLR or good lens???

brand new 40d + Tamron AF 17-50 mm 2.8

Is getting a brand new 40D body only + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS not an option?

always go for good lens.

Hard to tell, you'll need to tell us more.

I had a similar decision to make few months ago. I decided to go with a xxD body at the end and had to choose between 40D or 50D. I chose 50D and then had to decide either 17-85 or Tamron 17-50 - I chose the 17-85 at the end because of its faster AF. So as you see, it depends what is more important to you - fast lens (f/2.8) or fast AF.

Never had a xxxD body but I hold one and it felt so small after I got used to my 50D. The viewfinder also seemed so small - I really recommend on a xxD body.

Many people here will tell you to buy a good glass and when you are ready, upgrade the body. I personally did the opposite - I went with a good body and cheaper glass. I did that as I know that the body will stay with me for few years and I can later sell the lens and get a better one, or even keep it and simply get other (and better quality) lenses in different ranges when I can afford them.

I will use it for everything, people and portraits, landscapes and architecture ..., but the weddings are that what should get me some money! I already have tripod and Canon Speedlite 430EX flash!

And this would be my first SLR!

Brand new 40D + Tamron 17-50/2.8, hands down.

Always go for good lenses first is a correct approach. I'm getting the Tamron because it's as good optically as the Canon 17-55/2.8 but costs only a half. It's small and light to bring around. I just got back from LA and my set up for the trip was 50D + 16-35/2.8L II - I don't see any compromise would be made if I have the Tamron mounted on my 50D instead. I may get less hit rate in low light that's all.

I need the Tamron desperately for travel and general use.

Brand new 40D + Tamron 17-50/2.8

or, since you have the 420EX........buy the

40D plus EF 28-135 f4-f5.6 USM IS kit. My wife uses this with great results.

I too love the Tamron and own one, but if your shooting weddings to pay for it you'll be better off with the versatility of the 28-135. I don't think Canon makes a better kit lens.

Order now: http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DKR.html?searchinfo=Canon+40D+28-135 Can't beat this one with a stick.

My2Abes,

Chuck

BTW..... at that price the 28-135 lens is basically free which leaves you plenty of extra moola to spend on a decent prime like the 50mm 1.4. Or buy the 17-50 f2.8!!

I used tohave 40D and Tamron 17-50 2.8, and let me tell you something, this combo rocks.