Thread: G9 - no power up - 2 good / charged batteries - help

G9 - no power up - 2 good / charged batteries - help

All of a sudden, my G9 won't turn on - both of the Canon batteries were good - I charged both, but no luck.

Can these batteries suddenly go bad ? Both at the same time ? I had charged them normally.

Has anyone had this problem ?

Please help

Thanks,

Re: G9 - no power up - 2 good / charged batteries - help

Are you sure it's not working at all or it's only the screen that is black?

Few things to check:

Can you go to playback mode?

Are there any lights turned on? like the "busy" led or anything else?

This one is pretty damn basic, but I just have to make sure - maybe you turned off the screen? (press the "display" button)

If you can't find any kind of indicator that will prove that the batts are fine and the problem is with the camera, then you'll have to try another battery to make sure.

If none of the above works, send it to Canon or anyone else that you trust.

Thanks Oren,

It's really weird, the camera is totally dark - nothing whatsoever functions, no indicator lights, no lens extension, no playback power-up - all buttons seem to function as normal (not stuck or responding)

The batteries were good last week and the camera functioned normally.

The only thing I can think of is that I took it on a business trip to TX this last week. From the hotel, I put it in the trunk of the carinside it's bag and drove for 3 hrs in 90+ heat. When I got to the destination, I tried the camera and this was the first time I noticed the power up failure.

Could the heat have something to do with the batteries condition ?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes heat can cause damage I believe. Check your manual to see how much heat your camera can tolerate.

I believe it is heat related - I'll test it with batteries from my Boss' G7 at work on Monday, and see if my batteries work in his G7.

I'd definitely say it is heat. The trunk is a really bad place for electronics. Your muffler(s) are back there and they get really hot then couple with the heat outside I'd bet it was over 120º back there.

Before doing that, make sure both cameras use the same batts, same voltage and same current.

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span><span><span>I had the same problem! My g9 decided to die on me out of the
    blue a week ago. After doing a bit of research online I found out that this is
    a rather frequent problem for G9 users. ?I found several companies that were
    willing to repair it at a flat rate and ultimately went with the
    recommendations of others to chose www.camerasandparts.com to repair it for a
    flat rate of $89. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span>?Andy, who is one of the managers
    there, handled my case. He was extremely responsive to all of my questions and
    concerns. He took the time to explain exactly what it was that he would do and
    how long it was going to take to do it. The customer service at camerasandparts
    is far superior to most companies I have dealt with in the past. The time it
    took to ship them my broken g9 and receive it back fully operational was all within
    4 days! I can honestly say with out hesitation that they are by far the best
    company to repair canons. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span>?Use them to repair your canon and
    it will be the best decision you have made in a long time!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc

All of a sudden, my G9 won't turn on - both of the Canon batteries were good - I charged both, but no luck.

Can these batteries suddenly go bad ? Both at the same time ? I had charged them normally.

Has anyone had this problem ?

Please help

Thanks,

<o></o>

I had the exact same problem with my 3 year old G9. It just wouldn't start even with a newly charged battery. I sent it to Canon and paid $160. It worked for a day and then it wouldn't shut off with an error message that read "Lens Error, Restart Camera" but of course the camera wouldn't restart because the lens wouldn't retract. So I sent it back and charged me $160 again but then refunded it when I complained. Upon return it lasted a day again and gave me the same error. They said they're fixing it again for free but won't replace it. I've gone all summer without a camera, have a long planned trip to Europe next week and am afraid it won't last. They've lost me as a customer after coughing up $660 for a camera that lasted 3 years. SOoooo disapointed as this camera was a big purchase for me, a homeschooling, no income Mom. I researched it thoroughly.

I discovered that the power up issue is due to a poor connection twix the battery and the 3 spring tabs that you can see while looking into the battery compartment well. I did several things that worked:

---take the battery out, checked it