Thread: Good news... Bad News

Good news... Bad News

First the BAD news...... About a month ago I LOST ALL my PHOTO GEAR!!! {was victim to a robbery} . Was really depressed.... my gear consisted of an XTi body with battery grip, a 2yr old 24-70 2.8L and a soon to be 1yr old 70-200 2.8 L IS a 430EX and a bevy of memory cards batteries and flash diffusers, B+W filters.. What really saddened me more were the loss of the 2 lenses. I really loved those 2 lenses. Best I've used to date.

the GOOD news.....

I am now the proud owner of a new 5d mkii a 580exii and a 24-70 2.8L [ bought it again coz i really like it's performance.] It's a smaller kit now since I'm back to one lens, but admittedly It is definitely a step UP from what i previously had... [ hope to surpass my LOST kit]. But for now this is all I have to work with. love the 5d mkii though.... right off the bat my first picture 1600 ISO flourescent lighting auto white balance only and colors came out just about right.... that put a smile on my face ..... made me miss my old kit less....

Next stop 70-200 2.8 IS II......

Re: Good news... Bad News

That
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Sorry for your loss...happy for your gain! The 5DII is a wonderful camera, and definitely a step up from your XTi.

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo
    was victim to a robbery

This is one of the reasons why I think it's so important to have your gear insured. It might be that your gear was covered by your homeowner's/renter's insurance, but many times it's not - especially big ticket items like a 5DII. Personally, I have a separate policy with my insurance company (some companies handle it as a rider on your existing policy), and I pay ~$7.50 per year per $1000 of covered gear (so, ~$32/year for your new kit) - the coverage is worldwide, protects against theft/loss/damage/etc., and has no deductible.

Congrats on your upgrade after this horrible situation. After reading this thread I

JKS,

I am now the proud owner of a new 5d mkii a 580exii and a 24-70 2.8L

congrats on your new gear! I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.

Happy shooting.

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I have a separate policy with my insurance company (some companies handle it as a rider on your existing policy), and I pay ~$7.50 per year per $1000 of covered gear (so, ~$32/year for your new kit) - the coverage is worldwide, protects against theft/loss/damage/etc., and has no deductible.

What kind of a policy is that and which insurance company if you don't mind me asking? That's an awesome plan, and I would love to get that as well. I'm currently with statefarm...

First the BAD news...... About a month ago I LOST ALL my PHOTO GEAR!!! {was victim to a robbery} . Was really depressed.... my gear consisted of an XTi body with battery grip, a 2yr old 24-70 2.8L and a soon to be 1yr old 70-200 2.8 L IS a 430EX and a bevy of memory cards batteries and flash diffusers, B+W filters.. What really saddened me more were the loss of the 2 lenses. I really loved those 2 lenses. Best I've used to date.

the GOOD news.....

I am now the proud owner of a new 5d mkii a 580exii and a 24-70 2.8L [ bought it again coz i really like it's performance.] It's a smaller kit now since I'm back to one lens, but admittedly It is definitely a step UP from what i previously had... [ hope to surpass my LOST kit]. But for now this is all I have to work with. love the 5d mkii though.... right off the bat my first picture 1600 ISO flourescent lighting auto white balance only and colors came out just about right.... that put a smile on my face ..... made me miss my old kit less....

Next stop 70-200 2.8 IS II......
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The sad thing is people could work 1.5 years to pay for the stuff they stole and be guilt and jail free! Are we to sympathize for these people, I think not! I apologize for your loss on behalf of working citizens through out the world, and I pray that they capture these holigans and somehow return your stuff in ok condition!

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047
    What kind of a policy is that and which insurance company if you don't mind me asking? That's an awesome plan, and I would love to get that as well. I'm currently with statefarm...

I'm with State Farm as well. They call it a Personal Articles Policy - phone up your agent and ask! I'd guess that pricing varies by market, your previous claims, home security system, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I'm with State Farm as well. They call it a Personal Articles Policy - phone up your agent and ask! I'd guess that pricing varies by market, your previous claims, home security system, etc.

John just to add one thing for any one calling their agent:

When you get this policy a person should get one that covers "REPLACEMENT COST"

Otherwise your insurance company will only pay a depreciated amount on the item lost.

Thanks everyone....

and thanks neuro for that insight on insurance..... will definitely consider it