Thread: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM - good in low light photography?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM - good in low light photography?

It is a very good lens and quite versatile. There are some options in the prime arena like the EF50mm f/1.2 L USM which will open up even more low light shots, but give up the ability to zoom. I personally love my 24-70.

thanks! the EF50mm f/1.2 L USMis a bit too expensive for me, and i am looking fora general purpose lens that is good in low light and the price is around $1000.

f/2.8 is the fastest for zoom lens, if you want faster lenses you need to go with primes.

I've got a buddy who does a lot of Vancouver's nightlife photography (clubs, raves, etc) and he uses a 16-35ish f/2.8 (not a canon, it's a third party brand) as he finds the 24-70 just isn't wide enough (and he uses a FF - 5DMKII - as well). He also uses a flash w/ an off-shoe cord set to 2nd curtain as a fill.

Check out http://www.sleepdep.ca/ and you'll see what I mean about needing a shorter lens.... I'm not sure I'd call it general purpose, but for this kind of thing it's really the way to go. I can find out exactly which lens he uses if you like

I take a lot of photos in clubs and bars.

I use an EOS 40D, Canon 17-40mm f/4L and 580 EX II flash.

Most shots are taken at manual settings ISO800, F/4, 1/60 sec.

Flash full-auto E-TTL, and usually pointing upwards with Stofen diffuser.

So, thanks to ISO800, some ambient light will burn in during the 1/60 sec. The subject should look nicely exposed and frozen sharp, thanks to the flash and the smart metering which occurs.

Noise will be minimal on the subject, because the flash kills it.

I don't have a faster lens, although it would rarely be useful anyhow. The DOF is very small. Even at F/4, you have to be careful to ensure everyone's face is in focus, when taking group shots.

F/2.8 or wider can be of some use, i.e. for taking non-flash shots which look a bit funky.

Stabilisation is not really needed, if using flash. The flash is your stabilisation. And, in any case, lens stabilisation won't freeze the subject.