Thread: How does the 5DII autofocus compare to the 40D or Rebel XSi?

How does the 5DII autofocus compare to the 40D or Rebel XSi?

Hi all,

I've learned everything I know about digital SLR photography (which ain't a lot, but I'm okay with being slow) from you and from the Rebel XSi I purchased with last year's tax return. I absolutely love this camera. I've never used another one, so as the saying goes, ignorance is happiness--or something like that. But I do miss the view from my film SLR camera, so my heart has long been set on the 5DII so that I can really take advantage of my wide angle lenses. This year's tax return will probably allow me to buy the 5DII, at last, and I'm very excited. There isn't a camera shop nearby that has one in stock, so I've never held the camera, never tested it, but it's the only full-frame option available for my budget, and from all accounts it's a great option.

So here's my question: in your experience, how does the autofocus of the 5DII compare to the Rebel series? Or even to the 40D? Everywhere you look, the reviews are knocking the autofocus capacities of the 5DII, but all of those comparisons are made to the 7D or to the 1D series cameras.

Please know that I'm not worried about whether the 5DII is "fast enough" or "accurate enough" for me. I know, right now, if my Rebel misses the mark, it's not the camera's fault--I'm often enough (yes, it's true!) just trying to hit the broad side of a barn. I'm asking because I want to be able to put all those reviews of the 5DII's autofocus abilities into perspective for myself and for a friend of mine who shoots weddings with a 40D and who is also looking at the 5DII.

I shoot mostly still subjects, but some events for a local monastery too, if that helps. My gear is listed on my profile if you want to know which lenses I'm using.

Any takers?

Thank you!

Gina

Re: How does the 5DII autofocus compare to the 40D or Rebel XSi?

Gina....I just finished a very unscientific test of the 7D and 5DMKll AF (rented each for a week) vs.my 40D.

I won't bore you w/the technical details (there are more competent people on this site for that perspective)other than to say I shoot wildlife (mostly birds in busy settings).

I found the 5DMKll's AFbetter than the 40D's but not as good as the 7D (phenominal AF) for my style....which I purchased.

I was in awe of the 5dMKll's "portrait" details, creaminess and not at all disappointed w/it's AF in more open shooting.

I would say w/your description of shooting, you wouldn't go wrong w/the 5DMKll.

I'd say the 5DII's AF system is the one thing on the top of my list (together with better placed AF points or more of them) for Canon to improve upon. It's essentially the same AF as it's predecessor, to me it is slow and inaccurate for a camera in this price class. Why Canon opted to not improve the AF in the Mark II is beyond me. Other than that it's a great camera but I have it screwing up more than a few times during shoots to a point where i will now MF all shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison

I'd say the 5DII's AF system is the one thing on the top of my list (together with better placed AF points or more of them) for Canon to improve upon. It's essentially the same AF as it's predecessor, to me it is slow and inaccurate for a camera in this price class. Why Canon opted to not improve the AF in the Mark II is beyond me. Other than that it's a great camera but I have it screwing up more than a few times during shoots to a point where i will now MF all shots.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hi Bill W, Hi Madison,

Thanks for your response. I already know (from the many reviews!) that the 5DII's AF system is less good than the 7D's AF system or the other, more expensive Canon full-frame options. I also know that many photographers feel that for a "camera in this price range," the AF should be better. But my question--and again, this is to put things in perspective for someone who has only ever used a Canon 450D--how does the 5DII's AF compare to the Rebel series or to the 40D? I mean, is the 5DII only slightly faster and more accurate? Is it about the same in the field? Is it a noticeable improvement? Is it impossible to compare? Is it worse--less accurate, slower--?

Bill W: thank you for the comparison to the 40D. My friend will appreciate your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Franco
    But my question--and again, this is to put things in perspective for someone who has only ever used a Canon 450D--how does the 5DII's AF compare to the Rebel series or to the 40D?

Iused to havea XSI anda 40D, and, now havea 5DII. There was a period of time, when I had all 3 bodies. The observations below are based on my personal impression only.
    • The AF speed and accuracyin 5DII is very favorable compared to the Rebel, and on par with the 40D.
    • Areas of lower contrast and/or low light are where the difference is most pronounced, but this is quite typical. In good light and high contrast situationsall of these bodies perform well.

You may find all this inconsistent with other members' opinions. This may be due to the fact that above certain level of AF performance the difference is not noticeable to me. Also, I never used my 5DII to shoot sports or wildlife. I use it mainly for landscapes and portraits.

Good luck.

I have been using the 5DMKII quite a bit for sports because I like the ability to work at high ISO numbers and the insane amount of cropping you can do with 22 megapixel images. I also own an XT, an XTi, a 50D and a 1DMKII.

I have never done any scientific testing, but the 5DMKII autofocus works well for me. I tend to shoot sports through the EF300mm f/2.8 L IS USM and the EF400mm f/2.8 L IS USM.I also tend to set the autofucusto use the center point only. In this combination I would say the 5DMKII would rank fairly close with the 50D and the 1DMKII in AF performance. Obviously, the 1DMKII and the 50D can chew through more frames persecond, so they have some big advantages if you shoot sportswith the shutter button held down.

I tend to shoot 3-5 frame bursts, so I don't fret too much over the slow frame rate of the 5DMKII.

If the 1DMKIV proves tobe a big upgarde over the 1DMKIII, I may spring for one this fall.But right now, I'm pretty dang happywith the 5DMKII.

For weddings and portraits, the 5DMKII is my favorite camara and there isn't any competitor. I use a 1DsMKIII at work and itis the only Canon that comes close...and myCommunications VP can spot the differences. The 5DMKII is just that good for portrait work and product shots.

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here, and point out that if you're willing to stick with a crop body, for the same cost as the 5D2 body you can get the 7D and the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (which gives an equivalent angle of view to the 16-35mm on a FF body). But, since you already have the 16-35mm, you're probably better off with a 5D2. []

In terms of AF performance, I'd say the ranking is 1D3/4 &gt; 7D &gt; 5D2 ~ 40D/50D &gt; Rebel line. The 5D2 only has one of 9 as a cross-type AF point (in the center), but has additional 'hidden' AF-assist points, whereas the 40D/50D has all 9 cross-type sensors. The two pretty much balance each other out.

One big advantage (IMO) the 5D2 (and 7D and 50D as well) have over the 40D and Rebels is AF microadjustment. I tested my lenses on my T1i and found that while most are ok, myEF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LMacro IS USM andEF 300mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]LIS USMactually front-focus a bit. With AF microadjustment, that can be corrected.

There are lots of components to AF performance. # of af points, low light performance, speed, accuracy, and tracking. There is also the issue of how the center af point compares to the outer ones.

For low light, the 5DII is rated the same (minimum -.5EV) as the 40D and
    the 550D. This is just the center, though. You won't want to use the other af points in bad light.

I can't compare the speed or tracking to the 40D or 550D, but I owned an earlier rebel (XT) and the 5DII is faster as fast and tracks better.

I find the center point on the 5DII to be very accurate, even compared to the 1DIIN which I also own and which I guess is at least as accurate as the 40D
    and rebel.

For still subjects when you can use the center point and recompose, I doubt you'll be disappointed. My gut feeling (take with a grain of salt since it is based on my experience with an XT) is that even for moving subjects, the 5DII is at least on par with the 40D and new rebel.