Thread: Shutter & Lens durability

Shutter & Lens durability

Hey guys,

it's me, brendan, with another (yep, another) question.

I have something like 5000 shutters on my 7D and 300 f/4L IS right now. Should I be worried? I mean, is it not good for the camera to be taking so many pictures (got camera in December 2009)? Or is the thing pretty reliable and I can rack up 40000 shutters per year?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and want to make sure my camera gear is safe.

thanks,

brendan

Re: Shutter & Lens durability

brendan,

here is an older thread from this forum that might help answer your question...

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/2246/17356.aspx#17356

I wouldn't worry too much. I got my T1i in early December, and we just took shot 9724. If I turn that into a yearly figure, I get 33,339 shots a year. (/3.5 = monthly * 12 = yearly). My T1i is rated for 100,000 shutters. Assuming I get atleast that expected average value, it will have lasted 3 years. Then again, it might die in 1 or 2 years, or maybe 8. You never know. You're at half my shot rate, with a 150K rated shutter. You should be good for 8-9 years.

Once my 3 years are up, I can a) replace the shutter (I hear it's like $250) and hope to get another 3 years of life ($83/year), or b) I can opt to look at what's available in 3 years (a T3i, a 7Dmk2, a 70D, or whatever), or c) Both. The T1i will become the backup, and the T3i or whatever becomes new main camera.

I'm not sure there will be all that much sensor enhancements in 3 years, so I'd probably opt to just replace the shutter, then after the next 3 years, I could look into the replace/do both options, assuming they're still servicing T1is at that point.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Brendan,

What do you think about my 400D/XTi with 47k clicks on it? And one of Canon´s "cheap" lenses has been mounted on it most of the time?

You know what they say: Shop till you drop!? I do not think you should worry to much about your equipment. Shoot till you drop!

- Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rasmussen

I do not think you should worry to much about your equipment. Shoot till you drop!

The camera can handle heavy use, but if you really shoot till you drop, put it down first. The fall could damage it. []

Yeah don't stress - I've got over 30,000 actuations on my 40D and it's still going strong. I could only assume the 7D has a better build quality internally than the 40D so you'll beshooting for ages yet.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30