Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life of a Canon

Re: Life of a Canon

Many thanks for your reply, Sinh Nhut Nguyen!

Canon assistance has just told me that the
    shutter unit works if the main circuit works. As it is totally damaged,
    the technician cannot have the real numbers of shots made by the shutter
    unit.

Problem. I don't have the palest idea about the shots taken by the
    camera since the beginning to calculate its life. It was a friend who gave me that after using it from February 2007. (A shutter unit is
    much more than 100 euro that I cannot afford now). Cards or the last
    shot taken is not trustable at all I was told.

The technician cannot get the answer from the damaged circuit. He has already tried twice. Impossible.

Second problem for me, until today 30th March the new circuit hasn't arrived yet
    to Canon assistance centre and on 2nd April I'll be leaving abroad
    again (in a place without any close Canon assistance centre of course).

So on the Fool's day I must get my baby back repaired or not and leave
    it alone at home while I'm away. I must wait for November 2010 to get
    it repaired when I'm back home... if everything goes well with my life
    of course...

I'm very irritated...

I've heard of a 40D that lasted 4 million shots!!![:O]

Not to say that your's last that long, but shutters can sometimes last WAY past there rated life span.

John.

Thanks, John.

The main problem with my Canon is that is totally dead because the main circuit is totally damaged. I cannot use it. Dead.

To discover its life (as I was given it already used by a kind friend) was the shutter unit which is unreadable without a working main circuit. Anyway this is a second matter.

The Canon assistance took more than 15 days to get a new main circuit to replace and now I'm leaving again abroad. They knew that!

I feel very irritated... ppfff... I used Canon only one month and a half... Unbelievable. Bad luck.

Cristina

I wouldn't worry about the shutter count. It will most likely last longer than you own the camera, regardless of it's current shutter count. Of course, it could go out at anytime. But I wouldn't worry about it.

That really stinks that it seems you will be without your camera until November (if I am reading your post correctly). Cross your fingers and hope they get the board in and get your camera repaired before you leave.

Thank you, TucsonTRD.

Yes, my priority is to get my Canon 40D repaired before leaving.

I brought it to the Canon assistance on 17th March and up to this afternoon they didn't have received yet the new main circuit to replace !! Unbelievable!

I'm quite furious. The camera stuck and broke down suddenly at mid-February (while I was in France) and I couldn't repair it there.

I do hope to receive good news :-) otherwise I must go on shooting with my very basic Nikon coolpix S1... (I did miracles with it anyway).

Hi Christina,

I did not see where you got the answer to the software which gives you shutter actuations. The program I use is EOSInfo. I find it to be accurate. I have a 50D I purchased new and the counts given always look correct to me. The website describing it and to download it from is:

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

I hope this helps you.

Chris

EDIT: I do not use it to track how many clicks I have left, but rather as a reference to how many shots I am taking in a given time frame. I choose to reset every folder and I use different folders for different events, so I lose track and do not want to tally all my folder counts. As has been previously noted, some get more and some get less. Canon makes a good product, but everything has a failure rate. My real motive is to take enough photos to convince my wife I really -- really -- need a 1D Mark IV. []

I want to thank you all for your kind and valuable replies.

I got my Canon 40D back yesterday. The damaged main circuit couldn't allow the technician to discover how many shots the camera took. I'm not worried about the shutter unit. I simply go on in shooting :-) I'm happy to have my baby back. Now I can leave (today) !

There is no Standard life for a Digital Camera. They are very complex, and there are many mechanical and electrical things that can happen. If you buy a used one, the seller may be dumping it because it intermittently has problems, or is on the verge of a breakdown. Even if it has no problems, it might die tomorrow.

I sold a 9 month old 30D when I bought my first 40d. The 30D was still under warranty and perfect. The buyer called me a few days later, and said the camera had died. It turned out that the buyer had used the compact flash I sold with the camera for a few days, and then inserted a CF card he already owned, and it had a short and fried the camera. Canon fixed it under warranty, and hopefully the CF card went under a hammer. You can never tell what will happen.

You can purchase 3rd party insurance, at leasthere in the USA that would cover repair.