Thread: Let the speculation begin - new 50 1.4?

Let the speculation begin - new 50 1.4?

Re: Let the speculation begin - new 50 1.4?

Well, we can certainly let them speculate over at CR. Here, we'll probably wait to see what Canon actually does.

I can say that for myself, I haven't bought the Canon 50mm f/1.4 because it lacks ring USM and is soft from f/1.4-2. I haven't bought the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 because of the reported focus shift issues. I haven't bought the Canon 50mm f/1.2L because it's still not very sharp wider than f/2 (although it's better than the f/1.4, and the bokeh is great). So, I don't have a 50mm prime. I'd definitely be interested in an EF 50mm f/1.4 II with ring USM and improved optics. But for now, it will be the EF 85mm f/1.2L II instead of a 50mm prime.

I'm in the same boat. No fifty-prime right now for the same reasons, but I want to pick one up soon.

I hope it's true. If it's usable at f/1.4, has a ring usm, and half the price of the 50 f/1.2, I think it's a buy.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I haven't bought the Canon 50mm f/1.2L because it's still not very sharp wider than f/2

Few lenses are.

I've never owned the 50 f/1.2, but looking at Bryan's ISO crops, it doesn't look any better. The 50 f/1.2 is definitely about bokeh, not sharpness. It is intentionally corrected to be blurry.

It does seem that there is a place in canon's lineup for a higher end 50mm lens than the f/1.4 but with more general appeal than the 50 f/1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by bardinjw

[url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/06/lenses-cr2/]http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/06/lenses-cr2/[/url]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I shouldn't feed the troll, but I will. That site has a comments area, and I'd suggest you speculate there.

If/when Canon releases a new 50/1.4, Bryan will post an announcement here, along with 17 posts announcing/withdrawing in-stock status at various retailers.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I shouldn't feed the troll, but I will. That site has a comments area, and I'd suggest you speculate there.

So you're saying I should take a hike because I came to a forum I trust
    to gather more information? I might of been "fishing" a little, but a troll?

If/when Canon releases a new 50/1.4, Bryan will post an announcement here, along with 17 posts announcing/withdrawing in-stock status at various retailers.

I've been out of it for a while, and I was digging around for info on buying a new lens. I've since caught up on the news here, read through some forums, and seen nothing of corroboration. Yes, I'm sure Bryan will post info when an official statement is made, and until then, if this post offends you, we can ignore it, and it will eventually slide off the front page.

Nah you should stay around, more people=more fun []I don't think you should take peety3's comment personal. It's just the fact that people around here want to talk about facts and lenses that are available. Since I've been here there have been several rumors/announcements that a 24-70 f2.8 L with IS was coming, but as you can see it still isn't there []

In my opinion it's kind of a waste to talk about lenses that aren't there. If you'd really need a 50mm 1.4 prime, just buy it now. When it will be announced it will take another 2 months or so before it will be broadly available so until then it's kind of useless to talk about it I guess...

So please don't take anything personal, you're just an unlucky guy that didn't know that there were identical posts posted before and nothing interesting came out.

Oh and to be honest...although the Sigma 50mm 1.4 prime had "focus-issues"...I bought it anyway and it is a really great lens and very very usable at f1.4(much better than the canon) Just so you know [] Mine was slightly front-focussing which was easily solvable by micro-adjustment +9 (Canon lenses require some micro-adjustment as well sometimes so it's not a big deal...)

Have fun around here!

Jan

Ps: I have no clue what's up with the troll thingy...I've heard it around here before, but I don't know the meaning of it [:P]

Most of the canon rumors are CR1, which just means its a comment or tip from a source with no history of being right (It could be a 9 year old kid).

However, this is a CR2 rumor, which indicates it comes from someone who has provided accurate information in the past, so it has a 50-50 chance of happening. Certainly, Canon see's the sigma 50mm lens doing well at $500 and would like to get $800 for theirs.

<div>

</div>

I think the point was that there's no information to be gathered here. I doubt there's anyone on TDP forums with real knowledge of upcoming releases. If there is, they're bound by an NDA and would be violating that NDA by posting such information here, ensuring that they would no longer be provided with that advanced knowledge in the future. So, you're 'fishing' in an empty lake.

Granted that unlike with most electronics, with lenses you cannot be assured that there's a newer, better version coming out soon. But the oft' given advice for tech purchases applies here, too. If you need it now, buy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    However, this is a CR2 rumor, which indicates it comes from someone who has provided accurate information in the past, so it has a 50-50 chance of happening.

Case in point - here's one from theCR archives: "<span>This is a CR2 source that has been right on multipleoccasionsand missed a few. Next week I&rsquo;m told we will see the following...EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS...I&rsquo;m told this is for sure, take it to the bank." The week in question was in mid-February, when Canon announced.......new printers. Similarly, CR had a thread calledEF24-70 f/2.8L IS Confirmation?- that thread is dated Feb 28th, 200<span>9. Guess they were as wrong 16 months ago as they were 4 months ago. If you needed a 24-70mm and wanted the IS version, and held off based on CR, you'd have missed a heck of a lot of shots over those 16 months. In fact, you'd still be missing them.

No fifty-prime right now for the same reasons, but I want to pick one up soon.

Ok. If you want one, you can stand to wait a few weeks, or months, or years, until Canon releases the lens you want. If you need one, right now you've got three options from Canon (four if you count the 50mm f/1.0L), two from Sigma, and a few MF options as well. Lots to choose from!

I think the point was that there's no information to be gathered here.

Which is all I really wanted to know. I would probably have been more prudent on my part to make the original post look less spammy.

Ok. If you want one, you can stand to wait a few weeks, or months, or years, until Canon releases the lens you want. If you need one, right now you've got three options from Canon (four if you count the 50mm f/1.0L), two from Sigma, and a few MF options as well. Lots to choose from!

I'm not worried about it really. I didn't intend for this to be such a big deal, and was just looking for information. The canon 1.4 isn't a big investment, and if I need one, it's only one day's shipping away. If something new comes along, even better.