Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 1.8 II Focus Problems?

Re: 50 1.8 II Focus Problems?

Thanks Jan and John. I used the printable focus test and retested the lens. I took 14 shots. 12 were dead on and 2 were slightly front focused. Is that an acceptable rate? Or would you expect even more consistent accurate focus? One focused 10mm short, the other 14mm short. So they weren't way off, but it was very noticeable.

Thanks for all the help.

Braden

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
    I took 14 shots. 12 were dead on and 2 were slightly front focused. Is that an acceptable rate? Or would you expect even more consistent accurate focus?

I think an 86% hit rate is quite reasonable, especially for a $100 lens that lacks the faster and more accurate USM motor found in the more expensive Canon lenses.

I'm with John on this one. 12/14 seems like a good rate.

Those 2 are pretty far off I must say, I think this isn't a focus-accuracy problem (so it's not fixable by AF micro adjustment) but more an inconsistently fault.

And last but not least, if it focusses 12/14 photos dead on in real life use at f1.8 you are a very lucky man []

Thanks for the input and advise. I was a little worried after my own uneducated test. I feel better now and I hope to get some good photos out of the 50.