Thread: recommend a timer remote please...

recommend a timer remote please...

I

Re: recommend a timer remote please...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend firing a 7D every second for a full 24 hour period. The shutter mechanism on the 7D is rated to about 150,000 cycles (clicks). Firing once every second for 24 hours, you'd literally use up over half your expected shutter life (or exactly 86,400 shutter actuations). In addition, you'd need a massive amount of storage space which means capturing directly to a bank of hard drives.

I agree with Sean, it sounds like a bad idea. Sounds like you need a surveillance camera. As for a timer, I have and I recommend the Canon TC80N3. I don

I've been using the cheap knock-off shutter release timers from China for about 6 years now - they are sold on e-bay. They seem to have a different brand name every week (e.g. "Phottix"), but I just buy which ever one has the highest satisfaction rating (e.g. 99.9%) and lowest price. Usually it's about one third the price of the official Canon accessory and it works just as good. I haven't tried any of the wireless ones.

I tried a cheap one (I forget the brand), but mine stopped working after a few weeks, so I bought the canon.

I use a Micnova MQ-TC1 on my 5D2 and it works like a charm. I did put my own batteries inside it, because they work much better than the factory supplied ones. I did some time-lapses with it and without any problems. And it

I see I should have phrased that differently. I don

Quote Originally Posted by memostothefuture
    I spoke to someone at calumet today and he mentioned I should be able to even just do that with the software that comes with the camera. haven't found anything in my manual yet but am exploring.

Yes, you can do interval timer shooting with the camera tethered (connected via USB to the computer), using the EOS Utility software. Check the documentation for that software (it's on p. 39 of the pdf in my version, but that may be old).

it

Yes, only tethered.