Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24EX Macro Twin Lite...comments any one

Re: 24EX Macro Twin Lite...comments any one

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The setup is a bit bulky and unwieldy, but I guess I'd describe the MT-24EX like that, too. The other advantage to an MT-24EX (or MR-14EX) is that they can be wireless masters, so you can trigger an off-camera strobe to light the background if you want. For me, using the MT-24EX with the 100 L macro was a 'nice to have' but with the MP-E 65mm, extra light is pretty much a requirement, even for static subjects.

I am hoping the MT-24EX will not be to bulky. My set up nowis the 180mm F/3.5L mounted on a Gitzo 2541EX tripod and 2750QR head. I have the 100mm F/2.8L Marcro IS and use it hand held. At times speed of set up counts. For instance this weekend there was a paticular butterfly, bright yellowish orange in color that I pursued for almost 30 minutes in a field of winter peas. When you could get in close enough, you had seconds to set up and compose.

So Portability, Speed and Producing a Natural Light apperance to the picture are what I am shooting for.Since most of the reviews and comments I have seenseem to be centered around the MP-E 65MM,it makes me wonder ifon the 180mm itwill performdiffrently (especialy since the closest focusing distance is 2x as far on the 180mm). I think what I am going to do is get the 24EX and the Sto-Fen's and see how they do first. Then if I need to modify further I will. The MP-E 65MM is on my list to buy so I probably will have to modify it some day, but I need to play with my other toys for a while longer before I get another toy.

I had not seriously considered the 14EX since the 24EX was the top of the line canon. But I wonder if the 14EX might serve the purpose as a macro flash as well, or possibly better than the 24EX in some respects.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I wonder if the 14EX might serve the purpose as a macro flash as well, or possibly better than the 24EX in some respects.

I think it depends on what that purpose is - a ring light will be better suited to documentary shooting since it can produce a flatter illumination. Even though you can vary the ratio of the two tubes in the MR-14EX, you won't get the same flexibility in controlling the light that you'd have with the MT-24EX.

I suspect there are a few people out there who combine the MT-24EX with one of the brackets discussed above (instead of mounting two large flashes). That enables you to get the flashes farther from the lens axis (which would be more important for a longer working distance). If nothing else, the control would be easier - how would you control a pair of 580's on a macro flash bracket? Radio or IR, I guess? OC-E3 for one then slave the other?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I think it depends on what that purpose is - a ring light will be better suited to documentary shooting since it can produce a flatter illumination. Even though you can vary the ratio of the two tubes in the MR-14EX, you won't get the same flexibility in controlling the light that you'd have with the MT-24EX.

I suspect there are a few people out there who combine the MT-24EX with one of the brackets discussed above (instead of mounting two large flashes). That enables you to get the flashes farther from the lens axis (which would be more important for a longer working distance). If nothing else, the control would be easier - how would you control a pair of 580's on a macro flash bracket? Radio or IR, I guess? OC-E3 for one then slave the other?

Flatter would not be good, the 180mm F/3.5L is capable of putting out a very nice 3D effect. I wouldn't want to kill that in any way.

I suppose you could have a bracket with two 580's but at some point this thing is going to be huge. To me the larger it gets the more useless it would be (only because how I like to shoot), not that it wouldn't work well with static objects or if you were staking out a paticular spot with your tripod.

I have used a single 580, but the problem is controlling the light. It has to be diffused some how or it over exposes and washes all the color out of the picture. I would think controling the harshness of light from 2 x 580 would be harder than cotnroling the 24EX.

On another note:

I went to B&H to buy this thing about 30 minutes ago. They are out of the 72C adapter and won't have it in for one or two weeks. Twice I have tried to pull the trigger and failed......[]

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    The samples were very good. It is "reflection" I was worrying about, would a person be able to get the light soft enough to eliminate this completely.

I've never tried diffusers with the 24EX, so I don't know. (The reflections actually don't bother me).