Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Accent on quality in PHOTOS instead of quality of EQUIPMENT?

Re: Accent on quality in PHOTOS instead of quality of EQUIPMENT?

that beatiful ocean flower shot thro a 40d on an excellent 100mm 2.8 usm non is lens vauled under 500 usd!

Firestarter, I completely understand your sentiment, and sometimes I even share it, but I also believe that even though probably everybody here ultimately wants to shoot (and perhaps discuss) great photos, this website has an emphasis on photography equipment, and that's ok for me. There are other websites which focus more on image critique (including "don't hold back on the blunt truth" attitude), and if that's what I'm interested in, that's where I go...

I'm quite happy that (for example) the-digital-picture, photosig, flickr, and canonrumors are distinct websites, you know what to expect from each of them.

'nuff said, let's shoot (and share) some photos ;-)

Ciao, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

There are other websites which focus more on image critique (including "don't hold back on the blunt truth" attitude), and if that's what I'm interested in, that's where I go...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

POTN is one such forum.
    However, even though the emphasis of this site is equipment, I enjoy viewing other peoples pictures as well as sharing mine. I also enjoy learning new techniques which can also be accomplished here.
    I am always open to C&amp;C, but some people might not be. Some people might have thicker skin that others. I think most people who post their pictures on any forum expect a little C&amp;C, At the same time C&amp;C or not, they should not go ignored. Some times all that is warranted is a brief comment. A little acknowledgment can go a long ways.

When it comes to C&amp;C the passion some have for photography really comes out in their words. As long as it is civil, with a little tact, I see no harm in any C&amp;C. Believe me when I say, what I have seen here is extremely mild in comparison to what I have observed at other web forums. In my short time here I can see that the people are friendly, It didn't take me long to feel comfortable enough to start showing some of my pictures. I hope I wasn't wrong! I am not a professional, and I am not expert at photography, but I have even tried my best to be helpful when I can, and I hope I haven't come across to anyone as being sarcastic or condescending. I have also been able to learn a couple new things while reading through many of the posts here for which I am grateful, and I hope to learn more.

I have been to forums, software forums that I won't name here, where unfortunately people hide behind the anonymity of the Internet and feel free to be patronizing toward other members without any consequence. I don't know why they do it, maybe it makes them feel superior to others in their own mind. Nevertheless, IMHO, there is absolutely no need for that kind of attitude, and it is in no way productive.
    Perhaps it is best when someone posts pictures here, especially if only in the show and tell, we should not offer a critique or assistance unless it is otherwise solicited.

With that said, One persons style or technique isn't necessarily the Right style or Technique for everyone else. That doesn't make one wrong and the other right. If it works for you, go with it.

<span style="font-size: xx-large;"]FOLKS, RELAX, AND GO TAKE SOME PHOTOS [] I THINK YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME ON THIS THREAD!

I agree. What has been intended as an innocent push for improvement, almost ended up as an international conflict. I will never offer any kind of comment or critique on any photo, unless specifically asked for it.

I consider this topic as finished and done...

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

I agree. What has been intended as an innocent push for improvement, almost ended up as an international conflict. I will never offer any kind of comment or critique on any photo, unless specifically asked for it.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Why wouldn't you offer a comment or critique of a photo? That seems a bit over dramatic. Simply put, the parent site of this community is focused on equipment reviews. And it makes sense that the people who frequent this forum are knowledgeable about the gear they use. However, the purpose of buying and using the gear is to make great photos (and videos, I suppose). People don't create great images just because they possess a 1D series camera--but the people who create great images see the value in owning a professional piece of equipment.

Please offer your constructive comments or critiques whenever you feel it is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

Most likely both parties have already acknowledged the difference between "Show &amp; Tell" vs "C&amp;C" so I agree, no need to say anything further upon that topic []

Personally, for someone like me who have taken up photography seriously for only a year, your generosity to contribute your years of knowledge and insight on our photos are overwhelming!

You've certainly made a grand entrance [] Welcome to the forum!!

I'll be sure to post my photos on "C&amp;C" and would love to have the harshest critique I can get from you with full intent on improving my skills.

Oh...and yes I will definitely specify for your critique, as well as others to clarify my intensions to rip the images apart. [No sarcasm, just a sincere request] []

I have to admit that I agree with Firestarter, and have considered writing a similar post. However, I am too scared that I would offend someone (particularly since I am not able to express myself properly in english). I would also like to know what other think of the pictures posted here, not only my own, but also critics on pictures from other members. An "awesome" doesn't give me much.

That being said, critics don't have to point out the negative aspects of a picture. It could just as well point out the positive sides, like "I like the the blurry foreground" etc. That can be just as helpful (or even more) than negative comments, and in my opinion, much more fun to both give and take.

Still I like the gear-discussions, they just tend to annoy me a bit, since I can't afford any new gear at the moment (In fact, I am not allowed by my girlfriend, she thinks we should rather spend the money on food, diapers and other "necessities" []).When I get rich and famous, I will probably flash all my equipment here and annoy another poor guy. Can't wait...

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Lars

...In fact, I am not allowed by my girlfriend, she thinks we should rather spend the money on food, diapers and other "necessities" [img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]...

There was a time when I came across a post here on TDP about a wife/gf that had suggestedthat one member here should upgrade to the 5DMkII...[:|] Now who was that??

One day I'll find a partner that'll say such things to me...it'll just be a race to see whether her or my "L" disease will make us go bankrupt first []

...one day....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

<div>

Why wouldn't you offer a comment or critique of a photo? That seems a bit over dramatic.

Sean, perhaps it is over dramatic, but I do not want to be seen as a person who imposes himself on the rest of the community - especially when there is such a strong resistance from many members. Truly, I don't understand that resistance. Perhaps it is something that any 'newbie' should expect on any forum? It feels like some kind of initiation ritual...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

People don't create great images just because they possess a 1D series camera--but the people who create great images see the value in owning a professional piece of equipment.

<div>That was my point all along.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Takahiro, I appreciate your attitude.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Lars, never mind not being able to express yourself in English. The more you will try, the better you will express yourself. English is NOT my native language either...</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>And now, please, let's kill this topic, OK? It is getting old.</div>

<div></div>

</div>