Page 324 of 558 FirstFirst ... 224274314322323324325326334374424 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Wow, 4 days since anyone has posted in Birds; that must be a record---what did you guys do with your weekend? As for me, the bride and I took a trip to the mountains for some R&R and a little picture takeing in hopes of finding some bear, elk, dear etc. During our search for the big game, I kept seeing this blue bird with a black head and crest flying around, I had never seen this bird before but found him very ineteresting and photogenic---if I could only get cloes enough for a shot. As things would have it, We saw lots of elk and a couple of very big bulls, but....... by the time we saw them, they saw us and the shot was gone. No bears, and only a couple of deer. So, Last night I was packing up the truck for the trip home and I was somewhat dissapointed becuase I couldn't return home with a single shot of wildlife. So, I decided to try and call in this bird I had been seeing throughout the trip. Just outside my cabin, I pulled out the smart phone with I-Bird on it and hooked up an external speaker and and began to call him in. Almost immediately he came to a nearby pine tree, and made several passes near the speaker I had set up. Well, This motivated me to set up my gear and see if I could get a shot or two. As luck would have it, Once I set up my camera, all the birds went quiet. But, I endured and called for almost two hours, and just about the time I was ready to give up, guess who shows up?

Steller's Jay
    7d, 500, flash and better beamer
    ISO 400, 1/250th, f9
    and a little ps work to remove branches, etc

Just purchased ibird. Its on sale for $2.99 because its the anniversary right now. Cool stuff. By the way, that shot is awesome!

Awesome shot Bob and great pose!

Rich

@Jayson and Richard--Thanks, and Jayson, I hope you enjoy I-Bird, It doesn't always work, but sometimes it's the only thing that does. Also, one thing that helps a great deal is an external speaker; Joel recommended this one to me and I love it--it's simple, works and sounds very good.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...0346/cat100777

Good luck
    Bob

It ain't pretty, but this is what a belted kingfisher looks like after diving in my pond and scooping out a sunfish. This pic was taken under terribly adverse conditions. The RAW image was essentially a silhouette; and it's cropped in from 18mp to 3mp. But there's something primal about it. 7D & EF 70-300L.

A Mallard Hen .... from my trip to Louisville 2 weeks ago

1DMKIV
    500mm
    ISO 1600
    f/4
    1/640

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    It ain't pretty, but this is what a belted kingfisher looks like after diving in my pond and scooping out a sunfish. This pic was taken under terribly adverse conditions. The RAW image was essentially a silhouette; and it's cropped in from 18mp to 3mp. But there's something primal about it. 7D & EF 70-300L.

A day in the life of a kingfisher ... I like it. Would cropping in portrait make sense?

I also have croppitis because the glass is not long enough (see next post)

Arnt

not the greatest shot, but usually you don't see these two hunting together
    T3i, EF-S 55-250 @ 250 ISO 400 f/7.1 1/3200
    cropped to 3MP

101_MG_1022 - Version 2 by ahab1372, on Flickr

Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Would cropping in portrait make sense?

I also have croppitis because the glass is not long enough (see next post)

Arnt
    Ha! Croppitis: chronic mental disorder caused by insufficient focal length...

I tried cropping portrait also. At the same 3mp crop, I think the landscape is better -- but neither is all that great!

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    not the greatest shot, but usually you don't see these two hunting together

Arnt
    Cool. Is that a barn swallow with the gull?

yes, a swallow. There were hundreds of them hunting over the former salt ponds in Alviso. They nest in the nearby ruins of an old cannery