Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 6D Announced (sort of)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    That comparison hurt my eyes.
    If you owned the 600mm Nikon, your eyes would feel better because of the tears from choosing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    John:
    I think you are probably correct, but I think their logic may be flawed. The probelm with targeting Rebel users is that they packaged all those Rebels with EF-S lenses. If they want to upgrade to a FF camera, then they need to unload their EF-S glass and start over. If you are going to push people to start over in there lens collection, then you better have a camera that out performs the compitition or you will drive them to the compitition. The way I look at the spec's, and I if needed to start over with new glass, then I would seriously be looking at Nikon to get better DR, AF, resolution, etc..

In the past when they designed decent upgrades for Rebel users (10D, 20D, 40D, 50D, 60D), they could still use their EF-S lenes... so it was still cheaper to maintain the Canon loyalty. And over time they would get a collection of better glass and eventually head towards FF if it suited them. This route to get Rebel users to jump to FF seems a bit risky and may force to jump to Nikon instead.
    My guess is that most of crop users who do want to upgrade, at least around here, do have mixed glass (EF-S and EF, and even some L). The typical Rebel user with only the kit lens might never upgrade at all.

I see three upgrade paths for Rebel/60D users:
    1. Better AF and fps --> 7D
    2. Better IQ and low light --> 6D, or 5DII as long as it is available
    3. You want both of the above --> 5DIII or older used/refurbished 1D

7D users --> sorry, Canon thinks you need to burn serious cash if you want to upgrade without too much of a trade-off in AF and fps

Or maybe we are thinking too much about us crop users here in the forum who want to upgrade. Maybe the bigger target audience are SLR starters who want the better IQ and low light performance of a FF?
    Arnt

HDNitehawk - I do not think someone looking at getting a 6D would be looking at the $13,000 lens like that anyway, but there are also some Nikon lenses that are very well thought of as well... the 14-24mm for example. Personally, I am vested in Canon, and have no plans to jump ship. However, I would like to have a chance to get a camera with better DR and less noise without paying an arm and a leg. And if I have to push that noise slider and watch the IQ from that great Canon glass fade away, then is it still just about the glass. Maybe I am over stating it a little to strongly; but more to the point, I do not think that there are that many Rebal users that have a quiver full of top glass either. It just seems like a bad idea to introduce several new products that your customer base is disappointed in, and in which the spec's are inferiour to the competition... thus providing your customer a reason to walk away.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Conropl; you are right they wouldn't look at a $13,000 lens, most probably wouldn't even realize that they were going to end up with a ton of cash tied up in this hobby. They will and should compare glass though. When I got in to DSLR's all the research I did at the time was that Canon had better glass and as for bodies, one company would be ahead for a while then the other. Now what I hear is that some of the more common glass Nikon has made improvement, but still on the high end glass Canon still leads. Who knows, this D6 may cost Canon some sales, but will some of the new lens releases bring a few over from Nikon to offset it?

Canon has taken a strange path with its bodies lately, the last three releases had critical releases. I think if they had let the 5D II market dry up, then released this body it would have been more welcomed. At the very least it was bad marketing. I am still optimistic for a positive new body release.

Edit; should have said last 4 releases. I forgot they downgraded the 50D with a 60D release.

I think Ahab has a point - does the 50d user an target?. I agree w/ the product line positioning but I think the 6d has to win something over the Nikon d600 - other than -3 EV focusing. who shoots that often in the dark w/ what lens?

Perhaps we have been under estimating the positioning of the 7d.

I do think Canon did a good job of making the wifi function useful - I could see macro folks using it as a remote display so they don't have to grovel around on the ground, etc.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

You're all making me expect an EF-M mount, 9 AF point, 4 FPS, SD card, 7D mk2.

If it helps, imagine that 600mm lens with 50% more pixels on your top of the line D800. It'd be wicked smooth.

The difficult thing to this is that Nikon does not appear to have any "budget" type full frame compatible lenses that are worthwhile after my brief searching this evening.

Where is the 24-105L? It is the 24-120 and costs $1300! Where is the 17-40L? It is the 16-35 f/4 and costs $1300! Where is the 70-200 f/4L? There's nothing really even close...

What else is there? The 24-85 by most accounts stinks.

There doesn't appear to be much else as far as options go. Hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way but here goes anyway... Canon has excellent, affordable glass but the FF bodies stink (or are very expensive) and Nikon's FF camera specs are excellent but their lenses stink (or are very expensive).

Bottom line is that digital photography is expensive if you want to get top tier results and I think much more expensive than you expect when you first start getting into it. It's easy to chase that incremental improvement and maybe lose perspective on the whole thing... I got this picture with a kit lens a couple weeks ago. Technical quality may not be perfect but I do really like it. Would a more expensive setup do better? Probably not noticeably.

2012_09_08_9451_rawproc by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    ...as for bodies, one company would be ahead for a while then the other. Now what I hear is that some of the more common glass Nikon has made improvement, but still on the high end glass Canon still leads. Who knows, this D6 may cost Canon some sales, but will some of the new lens releases bring a few over from Nikon to offset it?
    I agree with that. It is just difficult to sit back and watch Nikon trump Canon multiple times.

Canon has taken a strange path with its bodies lately, the last three releases had critical releases. I think if they had let the 5D II market dry up, then released this body it would have been more welcomed. At the very least it was bad marketing. I am still optimistic for a positive new body release.

Edit; should have said last 4 releases. I forgot they downgraded the 50D with a 60D release.
    Agreed!
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    You're all making me expect an EF-M mount, 9 AF point, 4 FPS, SD card, 7D mk2.

If it helps, imagine that 600mm lens with 50% more pixels on your top of the line D800. It'd be wicked smooth.
    Yes imagine that. I have had those fantasies.

Imagine if you could use Canon lenses on Nikon cameras. Imagine if you could use Nikon lenses on Canon cameras, oh wait, you can and it is very rare to see any one using one.

Another thought;

For all the 7D fans and owners, they should be asking their selves "What Next". This is how the numbers work 6D > 7D..right?? This is my prediction, maybe CR will catch wind and post it on their site. The 7D II will either be dumb downed, or discontinued.

Imagine if you could use Canon lenses on Nikon cameras. Imagine if you could use Nikon lenses on Canon cameras, oh wait, you can and it is very rare to see any one using one.
    Suppose a significant percentage of DSLR buyers demanded a standard lens mount across all 35mm DSLRs, else they wouldn't buy another body or lens ;-)