Thread: Any ideas for shooting a politician...WITH a camera!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Any ideas for shooting a politician...WITH a camera!

Thanks, Keith. When doing event photography, wides are an excellent way to gowhen capturing the croud and ambiance of the event. Wides just don't make good portrait lenses. A wide lens can give someone a balloon head and tiny feet. That's a sure way to earn a sock in the nose! If you're taking a pictureto pleasesomeone with a big ego, use a protrait lens.Canon's 70-200lenson afull-frame sensor is just about perfect for most candid situtations, with a wide on a secondary camera. That's my two cents worth, anyways.

I wouldn't do portrait with ultra wide. I was more talking about the 24 to 35mm range. He seemed to be talking about environmental portraits. I was talking more of the type of shots you'll see from the White House photogs.If you shoot straight on you shouldn't get balloon heads or tiny feet.

Good point, Keith.Everyone has their own favorite style. Speaking only for myself,I can see unacceptable perspective warpingusinga 50mm lens. If the purpose isdo a flatteringportrait of someone, I wouldn't go less than 70mm on a full-frame.Another advantage ofgoing long in a public situation is that the politician needs to be the center of attention. If you're using a short lens, you have to get too close to get the shot. In other words,you become too intrusive. It's not your place to be part of the action--you're just there to documentit. When shooting at a public venue, go long-ish and stay out of the way. If there are other photographers on scene, they'll thank you fornot blockingtheir shots.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'll probably be using my 24-105mm f4 and a 70-200mm f2.8 on a 50D. For really wide angle all I have is the ef-s 17-85mm which I'll have with me too. Seems likely I'll be shooting around a courthouse (exterior) and some other locations of that nature. In July I'll be shooting indoors around the public/media for his official announcement.