Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas for shooting a politician...WITH a camera!

Any ideas for shooting a politician...WITH a camera!

Hello there Everyone,

So I have an interesting shoot coming up. I have to take publicity stills for a gentleman running for The House of Representatives. Everything will be taken on locations such as courthouses, fire stations, and the like. Has anyone ever shot anything like this? Any suggestions? Lighting? Poses? Background subject matter? Anything? The candidate doesn't have anything in mind except he wants to look dignified. Not much help there. So feel free to drop any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Victor

Re: Any ideas for shooting a politician...WITH a camera!

I shoot stuff like this occasionally. I like to shoot these with wide angles. I'd suggest trying to avoid posing. I like to shoot away with them naturally interacting with other people. The shots usually have a personal and engaged look that will come across very sincere. Posed pics usually looked posed, but sometimes they are what is called for. Make sure, when posing, the distance between him and other is balanced and not too distant. Hand shake shots should involve his other hand on shoulder or bicep, to imply warmth and draw the subjects together.

Shoot from an angle slightly below and upward. Only shoot downward from the back when he is in front of large groups to show the vast audience.

Also try to capture him looking like an everyday guy at work, in his office shirt, tie, jacket off. Use natural ambient light with soft fill flash when necessary.

Make sure they are not in front of a mirror. Politicians have no reflection and the image will not look real. Be sure not to wear a cross because this will cause them to put their arm in front of their face to block the view (they can not stand the sight)and will ruin the shot.

JeffersonPoster

Thanks Keith. A lot of helpful hints. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate it. Some will have to be posed shots unfortunately. I think he wants to use some for Campaign posters and banners.

What about a garlic t-shirt? I do have to have some protection. LOL

Okay. I feel like I have to ask the forbidden question...but what should I charge for this? My usual paying gigs are marketing photography, events, and senior portraits. Taking pictures of chefs, fine cuisine, teenagers, fashion shows, and store fronts doesn't seem to compare with shooting a political candidate. I don't want to break the bank on his campaign funds and I'm kind of hoping I can roll this into more gigs. If you don't want to discuss pricing in the forums you can shoot me an e-mail at: covenant_arts@yahoo.com

I really do appreciate anything and everything.

Thanks,

Victor

<span style="font-size: 12pt; color: black; font-family: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Keith B has it fairly well, but I don't like to usewide angles. Politicians are usually very camera-aware, which can show up in your shots (looking artificial, stiff, &amp;/or shiftier than usual). If you want to catch a candid shot, it's better to use something slightly long (sans flash). Stand back a little, then frame and/or crop tight for that sense of intimacy. Take a lot of shots (burst mode helps).

Quote Originally Posted by joback

<span style="font-size:12pt;color:black;font-family:Arial;mso-fareast-font-family:'Times New Roman';mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA;"]Keith B has it fairly well, but I don't like to usewide angles. Politicians are usually very camera-aware, which can show up in your shots (looking artificial, stiff, &amp;/or shiftier than usual). If you want to catch a candid shot, it's better to use something slightly long (sans flash). Stand back a little, then frame and/or crop tight for that sense of intimacy. Take a lot of shots (burst mode helps).

Thanks. Wides are my style. I love to shoot with my 16-35 and my 24 1.4 in really difficult light situations. I don't disagree with the tele shooting either. If you don't normally shoot with wides, composition can be tough.

As far as charging; Since it location stuff I'd say just put an hourly amount to it. Maybe do $2X for first hour and then $X after that to make sure it is worth your while if it is only and hour of work. I think you need to decide what value X is. I think it has a lot to do with you expertise and geographical location.

Thanks, Keith. When doing event photography, wides are an excellent way to gowhen capturing the croud and ambiance of the event. Wides just don't make good portrait lenses. A wide lens can give someone a balloon head and tiny feet. That's a sure way to earn a sock in the nose! If you're taking a pictureto pleasesomeone with a big ego, use a protrait lens.Canon's 70-200lenson afull-frame sensor is just about perfect for most candid situtations, with a wide on a secondary camera. That's my two cents worth, anyways.

I wouldn't do portrait with ultra wide. I was more talking about the 24 to 35mm range. He seemed to be talking about environmental portraits. I was talking more of the type of shots you'll see from the White House photogs.If you shoot straight on you shouldn't get balloon heads or tiny feet.