Thread: So it isn't quite Iceland, Yellowstone & Grand Tetons w/ the daugher (19) end of June

Cool So it isn't quite Iceland, Yellowstone & Grand Tetons w/ the daugher (19) end of June

So help me avoid complete overload and exhaustion. I know alot depends on weather
    2 years ago we did Idaho Saw Tooth Mountains and got chased out by the forest fires. (I posted a portrait of her that everyone seemed to like from the trip)

Transit Options:
    26 to 31(Pine Creek) to Teton Pass Highway
    26 all the way around (Snake River pass) – a little longer

Several of these are actually more Grand Teton oriented

Sunrise/Sunset/Star scape/Storm locations:

Teton Pass into Jackson Hole
    Old Faithful (sort of a requirement) (really just sunrise/sunset I have a nice set of midday shots)
    Signal Mountain - Grand Tetons
    Lake Jenny – Grand Tetons
    Teton Park Rd & 89 – Oxbow Bend Reflection
    Schwabacher's Landing - Grand Tetons

General Landscapes:
    Moose Falls - YS
    Upper Yellowstone River Falls - YS
    Various Geysers – Geyser basin - YS
    44°13'9.87"N x 110°39'15.51"W – Lewis Canyon and various Water Falls - YS
    Lewis Falls – Faces N.E. i.e. A.M. shot - YS
    Crazy Creek Cascade - YS (North Entrance)

I am going to map this out - already noticed just to drive some of the loops/distances are several hours so I know there will need to be a focus to the geographical dispersion.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

When I lived in Idaho, I would go to Yellowstone every couple of years.

Upper and Lower Yellowstone falls are great. Lower is the more famous one. Artist's point has a great view...as the name would imply, but there are several great vantage points, including hikes down to the falls.

Upper and lower geyser basins are great, Norris is pretty good too. But Upper and Lower are the most famous, have a nice mixture of colorful springs and geysers.

Lamar Valley in the NE corner gives a different feel and often has herds of elk. I spent one day watching coyotes work the edges of the herds. A long lens and even a spotting scope would be a good idea.

I also didn't see you mention Mammoth Hot Springs. They are very great.

Both Lamar valley and Mammoth Hot Springs are fairly out of your way if this is a more Teton focused trip.

The loops are long, plus you can get behind RVs or hordes of people looking at wildlife. So it is a big park and you often move slowly through it.

Have a great trip. Two (Teton and Yellowstone NPs) of the great places in the world, IMO

Thanks for the insight. Mammoth got on the list after I posted - have you ever been to Crazy Creek Cascade?

We might do North "loop" and stay overnight in Cody or something.

Good point on the RV alternative/avoidance plan. #1 is to get their early and take our time, avoid YS on Sat/Sun - likely Signal Mountain. Hoping there is a lull 2 weeks before July 4, we will be gone on 6/30

Grand Prismatic will blow your mind. If you are in the area it's a must see.

Also, a word of caution. The geyser spray will etch glass (learned the hard way). I recommend liberal use of your lens caps and filters when in those areas.

Have a great time!

Cool. Grand Prismatic is going on the list. Good point on the geyser spay w/ all the sulfur I can imagine that it is acidic.