Thread: 8-bit vs. 16-bit

8-bit vs. 16-bit

Hi guys -

I have a few questions regarding the above named title. I have searched online but everything I find tends to give me more information than I really am looking for ...too much overload on my tiny pea brain!

When I bring photos into Photoshop, they are set at 16-bit. Some of the actions I have require the photo to be in 8-bit for them to run. So, if I change my photo to 8-bit to use that action, should I leave it set to 8-bit to say run other actions that would also run in 16-bit or if I want to apply any textures? Does it change or degrade the thus far edited image any if I move it back to being set at 16-bit. Or, even if that is the only action I run and I'm done ...should I save and/or print the photo in 8-bit or move it back to 16-bit ...or does it make any difference. On my screen, I don't see any difference at all. If I am going to print the photo, would it be better to not use actions that require switching to 8-bit?

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Denise

Current Canon RAW files are 14-bit (luminance of each pixel has 2^14 possible values), so a 16-bit file retains all of the data. When you reduce to 8-bit, you are basically throwing away the extra 6-bits...you can't get them back (like setting the mode to grayscale permanently removes the color data).

You won't see a difference on your monitor, since all but the uber-expensive ones (e.g. Eizo) are limited to 8-bits (or less for some cheaper LCD panels). Printing has similar limitations, particularly since most commercial printers want JPGs which are 8-bit.

To the extent possible, I'd say do all the operations you can in 16-bit space before reducing to an 8-bit file.

Thanks, John ...that exactly what I needed to know! Much appreciated!

John covered almost everything, except for when the bits are useful (aside from Marketing ). The extra bits only real function is that they can help keep a gradient smooth after you perform a change to contrast or apply a curve (for photos, think of skies for large slow changing gradients). For digital painting, overlapping dabs of very-large soft-edged brushes can also show banding and off-color blending artifacts, but you're not likely to use the offending combinations very often.

Elements doesn't even have 16-bit mode, so after RAW conversion, I'm working in 8 bit mode, and it's not really a problem.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thank you for the info, David. I wasn't going to post the question but I am glad I did. The information provided has helped a lot. You guys still teach me something every time I log on here!